Individualized Programs Bachelor's Degree Overview
Can’t find a major that fits your academic or career goals? Create your own at The University of Toledo in Ohio.
The individualized degree program within UT’s University College allows you to design your own bachelor’s degree program.You’re in charge and create your own path.
Adult learners, college transfers or military veterans can even earn credit for relevant volunteer, academic and work experience.
Individualized Programs Bachelor's Degree Highlights
Flexibility. Take on-campus, online or blended classes from any of UT’s academic colleges.
Countless options. The University of Toledo has all the resources that go along with being one of the best public, research universities in Ohio.
- A comprehensive course catalog with plenty of minors to make yourself more marketable
- Personalized student services
- Access to top-notch facilities and labs
- Study abroad and internship programs
Earn your degree faster. You may be able to apply transfer credits, military credits and prior-learning credits — relevant academic, work, volunteer and life experiences — toward your bachelor's degree.
Experienced academic advisers help design your individualized bachelor's degree and give you a checklist to graduation.
UToledo’s individualized degree program prepares you for a variety of work environments — arts and nonprofit organizations, corporations, government agencies and more. Students also earn individualized bachelor’s degrees to advance their current careers or as a pathway to grad school.
"A degree was always something I wanted. I thought maybe I couldn’t return. A part of me then said, ‘Yes, I can. I can do this.’ Once I graduated, I returned to work for the Salvation Army Harbor Light, not as the administrative assistant but as the case manager for veterans in transitional housing. University College meant everything to me because people had faith in me."
Individualized Programs Bachelor's Degree Curriculum
UT’s individualized degree program is intentionally broad in scope. Students have the flexibility to develop a custom curriculum and choose classes from UToledo’s comprehensive course catalog.
Common Focus Areas for Interdisciplinary Studies Majors
- Marketing and communications
- Social and behavioral studies
- Helping and health issues
- Community programming and development
Internship Opportunities for Individualized Programs Bachelor's Degree
Undergraduates can earn credit for internships and field experiences. Both qualify as substitutions for the individualized degree program’s senior capstone project.
- Internships are practical experiences in out-of-classroom environments intended to develop specific skills.
- Field experiences are project-based opportunities to apply knowledge and skills you've already learned.
Examples of Internship and Field Experience Locations
- Yonsei University, Korea
- yB Management, LLC
- Toledo Museum of Art
- Toledo Zoo
- Goodwill Industries
Top 10 reasons to create your own individualized degree
- You want options.
- You already have college credits and want to graduate faster.
- You earned an associate's degree and want a four-year degree.
- You want to change the direction or focus of your career.
- You want to combine technical work experience with a college degree.
- You're interested in emerging industries and professions.
- You have a job in mind in a specific field of work.
- You want to eventually enroll in a graduate or professional program.
- You're an adult learner who wants to finish your degree.
- You're interested in a unique area of study that isn't available anywhere else.