Nursing Bachelor's Degree Overview
The accredited Bachelor of Science in Nursing program at The University of Toledo is the first nursing, undergraduate program in northwest Ohio. The BSN program is a consortium with Bowling Green State University, about 25 miles south of Toledo.
Undergraduate nursing students apply as pre-nursing students at UToledo or BGSU, where they take their first two years of classes. Upon admission to the upper-level nursing program, they complete their last two years on UT’s Health Science Campus, home to the UT Medical Center.
UToledo’s BSN program is committed to innovation, evidenced-based clinical education and scholarship.
Nursing Bachelor's Degree Highlights
- 3 enrollment periods. UT’s accredited College of Nursing admits 80 students each fall, spring and summer semesters. This is an option many other nursing schools don’t offer.
- Some of the nation’s most advanced health-care training facilities. The BSN degree program is located on UToledo’s Health Science Campus, next to the UT Medical Center. Nursing majors have access to hands-on, state-of-the-art educational technology at the Learning Resource Center and the Interprofessional Immersive Simulation Center:
- 12 low-fidelity mannequins
- 5 high-fidelity simulators
- Pediatric and infant simulators
- Two 3D CAD walls for virtual, immersive education
- Unique learning opportunities.
- Polish your skills by working as a nursing assistant at UTMC.
- Work with faculty on research projects, studying topics from pediatric lead poisoning to cardiovascular disease and cancer.
- Learn from your peers. Teamwork is critical in health care. Students from UT’s 11 professional health-care programs — physical therapy, medicine, pharmacy, social work and more — form collaborative practice teams through the interprofessional education program.
- Community service. UToledo nursing students use their skills to help local and global communities. You can take mission trips to Haiti and Nicaragua or help local communities through service-learning projects.
- Nursing student activities. Nursing bachelor’s degree students at UToledo are active. They participate in:
- CommunityCare clinics
- Medical Spanish outreach
- The Military Medical Student Association
- UT’s award-winning chapter of the National Student Nurses’ Association
UToledo graduates who have BSN nursing degrees find employment in clinics, hospitals, nursing homes, schools, outpatient facilities and more.
Employers Who Have Hired UT Nursing Graduates
|Cleveland Clinic||Ohio State University Medical Center, Columbus, Ohio|
|John Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore||ProMedica Health System, Toledo|
|Karmanos Cancer Center, Detroit||United States Armed Forces|
|Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn.||University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, Mich.|
|Mercy Health System, Toledo||University of Toledo Medical Center|
|MetroHealth Medical Center, Cleveland, Ohio||Veteran's Administration|
"I’m so grateful for my nursing degree and hope other students are inspired to follow their dreams, as well. Nursing has provided me with much more than a job; it’s helped define who I am as a person."
Kristen Micklash, flight nurse
Nursing Bachelor's Degree Curriculum
Course work is both concept- and theory-based for a well-rounded nursing education that develops clinical and critical-thinking skills.
Sample Nursing Courses
- Human Anatomy and Physiology
- Medical Ethics
- Family Health
- Nursing Care of Persons in Crisis