Philosophy Bachelor's Degree Overview
Philosophy majors at The University of Toledo learn how to read and critically evaluate complex and meaningful texts that deal with a wide array of important questions. Using these classical and contemporary texts, students explore questions and problems that help us understand human nature and our relationship to the world.
UToledo’s program explores multiple traditions and considers problems from a range of perspectives. We also offer interdisciplinary courses that examine issues in biology, psychology, mathematics and medicine.
Our graduates learn skills that lead to rewarding careers in a multitude of professions.
Philosophy Bachelor's Degree Highlights
- A comprehensive philosophy curriculum. UT’s BA program in philosophy incorporates multiple philosophical traditions. Our strengths include top-notch faculty in:
- Continental and analytic traditions
- Contemporary European philosophy
- Philosophy of science
- Philosophy of psychology and neuroscience
- Partnership with religious studies program. This unique relationship creates an opportunity for UT’s philosophy majors to study Eastern and Islamic intellectual traditions, as well as courses in the philosophy of religion.
- Cutting-edge curriculum.
- Multidisciplinary study. Our philosophy students can fulfill requirements by taking classes in many university departments, including psychology, disability studies, women’s and gender studies, history, mathematics and more. This allows students to work in many fields simultaneously and develop cross-disciplinary skills and expertise.
- New, inventive classes address contemporary concerns and research — computers and culture, philosophy of sports, contemporary culture and science fiction, the role of science in society, and many more. Our faculty tackles modern questions that prepare students for the modern world.
- Top faculty in the field. UToledo professors have earned graduate degrees from some of the top philosophy programs in the world.
- Excellent pre-med or pre-law major. Studying philosophy is great preparation for careers in law, medicine, higher management and science. UT’s philosophy majors develop strong skills in problem solving, logic and abstract reasoning.
Philosophy majors have the highest overall scores in the GRE and LSAT exams (standardized professional and graduate school admissions tests). They also have the highest rate of acceptance into med school of any major.
UToledo philosophy graduates often enter graduate school or other professional programs. Our students have been accepted to:
|The Graduate Center, City Unversity of New York||University of California, Santa Cruz|
|Emory University||University of Nebraska|
|University of Notre Dame||University of Oregon|
|Ohio State University||Vanderbilt University|
|Binghamton University, State University of New York||Virginia Tech|
In addition to being well-suited for careers in business and the law, philosophy is excellent training for careers in:
|Clinical ethics consulting in hospitals and businesses||Publishing|
|Government consulting in ethical and political issues and the development of public policy|
"People are often surprised when I tell them that my major is information systems, and yet I have a minor in philosophy. I think people underestimate the value of philosophy because it often discusses topics that many people could care less about. What people fail to realize is that, in discussing these topics, one learns valuable skills, such as analyzing every possible aspect of a question or problem, recognizing others' fallacious arguments, constructing your own persuasive arguments and looking at problems from a different perspective."
Philosophy Bachelor's Degree Plan of Study
View Plan of Study