Bioengineering Bachelor's Degree Overview
Biology is the study of living organisms. Engineering is the discipline of creating efficient machines or systems. Combine the two, and you get bioengineering, which is applying engineering principles to improve the human condition.
All of UT's College of Engineering BS students participate in a minimum of three semesters of co-op experiences - which means you'll work full-time gaining valuable real-world experiences while earning money.
College of Engineering Highlights
- Top-notch co-op program - We are one of only 8 schools nationwide that require a co-op, with student placements in 40 states and 34 countries. A co-op is a semester-long, full-time, paid work assignment that directly relates to a student's major. The co-op program includes three semesters of co-ops.
- Entrepreneurship focus - Incoming freshmen receive special training related to starting their own business and promoting their inventions and ideas.
- Career Development Center - We have an entire office with staff dedicated to helping students find co-ops and hone their professional skills for interviews. Most of our students are job-ready by sophomore year.
- High retention rate - Our freshman-to-sophomore retention rate is 90 percent.
- Excellent graduation rate - The number of bachelor's degrees awarded per faculty member is the highest in the state.
- Senior design clinic - Each bachelor's degree graduate works as part of a team to design a solution or prototype for an actual client.
- Strong graduate programs - The Princeton Review has ranked us among the top 20 in the country.
also become researchers, key employees of companies that produce medical products, teachers and scientists in federal and state agencies. In the field of technology, bioengineering has ranked fifth among today’s fastest growing careers. In addition, women comprise over 40 percent of the bioengineering field, making it the most female-friendly engineering career.
UT's bioengineering program is also an excellent choice if you're planning on attending medical school. UT's placement rate into professional programs is outstanding: 95% for students with a 3.5 GPA or higher!
Bioengineering Bachelor's Degree Curriculum