Mechanical Engineering Bachelor's Degree Overview
Mechanical engineers are creative problem solvers that design, develop and improve products to make a positive difference and help shape our future. They connect science to the real world and are essential to our health, happiness, and safety by turning ideas into reality. The broad field of mechanical engineering creates bold new solutions in the areas of hybrid vehicles, devices for individuals with disabilities, material science, aerospace, alternative energy, and computer aided design.
UT’s mechanical engineering students can take advantage of state-of the art laboratories, workshops, and computer facilities located within a multi-million dollar, multi-building complex. Design projects and laboratory research provide students with hands-on experience, and the comprehensive Senior Design Clinic and UT’s Formula SAE Car Team, which competes nationally, provide students with the design experience they need to be competitive in the job market. In addition, all of UT’s engineering students participate in a minimum of three semesters of co-operative education, which means students will work full-time gaining valuable, real world experience while earning money.
College of Engineering Highlights
- Top-notch co-op program - We are one of only 8 schools nationwide that require a co-op, with student placements in 40 states and 34 countries. A co-op is a semester-long, full-time, paid work assignment that directly relates to a student's major. The co-op program includes three semesters of co-ops.
- Entrepreneurship focus - Incoming freshmen receive special training related to starting their own business and promoting their inventions and ideas.
- Career Development Center - We have an entire office with staff dedicated to helping students find co-ops and hone their professional skills for interviews. Most of our students are job-ready by sophomore year.
- High retention rate - Our freshman-to-sophomore retention rate is 90 percent.
- Excellent graduation rate - The number of bachelor's degrees awarded per faculty member is the highest in the state.
- Senior design clinic - Each bachelor's degree graduate works as part of a team to design a solution or prototype for an actual client.
- Strong graduate programs - The Princeton Review has ranked us among the top 20 in the country.
Mechanical engineering graduates unleash the spirit of innovation in real-world applications by constantly discovering new products and processes to improve our lives. Few professions have such a direct and positive effect on people’s everyday lives. You could work with robots, use and improve virtual reality, design new vehicles, or even contribute to the development of medical devices or an artificial heart or knee.
Mechanical Engineering Bachelor's Degree Curriculum
Mechanical Engineering Bachelor's Degree4 ½-year program
Program Quick LinksView Admission Requirements
Department of Mechanical, Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering (MIME)
College of Engineering