English Language Proficiency
The following English language proficiency requirements are effective for applicants starting fall 2016.
All undergraduate international applicants to the University of Toledo for whom English is a non-native language must provide proof of English language proficiency to be eligible for full-time undergraduate registration. Applicants can satisfy the English language proficiency requirement in one of the following ways listed below.
- Submit official TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE scores at or above the following minimum scores:
TOEFL internet-based: 61
TOEFL paper-based: 500
IELTS overall band: 6.0
PTE (Pearson Test of English) Academic overall score: 44
MELAB (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery): 69
Our ETS Institutional Code is 1845.
2. Submit official SAT or ACT scores at or above the following minimum scores:
Old SAT Critical Reading: 500
New SAT Evidence-Based Reading and Writing: 510
ACT (English section only): 21
Our institutional code is 1845 for the SAT and 3344 for the ACT.
3. Completion of 3 Advanced Level subjects or 3 Higher Level IB subjects.
4. Transfer students currently enrolled in undergraduate study at a college or university in the United States can fulfill the English language requirement if they have completed 24 semester or 36 quarter credit hours of undergraduate coursework.
5. Successful completion of level 112 at an ELS Language Center.
6. English language programs: English language programs from outside the University of Toledo may be considered on an individual basis. Please include certificates of completion with your application.
7. English language of instruction: Applicants whom have successfully completed a high school diploma where the language of instruction is English may qualify for a waiver.
English language proficiency exempt countries:
Click here for a list of countries that qualify for an exemption.
International students who do not meet the English language proficiency requirement will automatically be admitted to the American Language Institute for intensive English language instruction. Admitted students will have the chance to take the University of Toledo institutional (paper-based) TOEFL on orientation day. StudenEts who meet the minimum score of 500 will be able to update their admission and be eligible for full-time undergraduate registration.