2017 Ohio Community College Leadership Cohort
Designed to prepare mid-level faculty and administrators in community colleges in Ohio for senior-level positions. Applicants must be working at an Ohio public two-year college. The cohort is limited to 15 members from a diverse mix of urban, suburban, and rural two-year colleges, and will begin in the fall semester of 2017.
Courses will meet virtually six Wednesdays from 5 to 10 pm, and in-person at the Ohio Association for Community Colleges (OACC) headquarters in Columbus one Saturday per month from 10 to 3 pm. All students are required to participate in two 2-week summer leadership academies -- one in the US, where we will spend one week in Washington, DC and one week in Columbus, OH learning about community college leadership and policy issues, and the other academy will be in Europe, where we will spend two weeks learning about short-cycle higher education leadership and policy issues in Belgium, the Netherlands, and France. All students are also required to participate in a policy internship course, where members work in groups on policy projects supervised by OACC.
- Currently employed at an Ohio two-year college.
- A completed College of Graduate Studies admissions form.
- A baccalaureate degree granted by an accredited institution, with a preferred minimum GPA of 2.7.
- A master's degree granted by an accredited institution, with a minimum GPA of 3.25.
- Official transcripts from all previous higher education institutions attended.
- A letter indicating your commitment to pursuing a career in the field of higher education, and a description of your potential research topic for dissertation study.
- A 1,000-word essay that discusses the most critical issue facing two-year higher education today, the reasons for choosing this issue, and the implications of the issue for the future of two-year higher education.
- Two letters of reference, including at least one from a faculty member who can speak to your ability to conduct research and to write at the graduate level.
- A current resume or curriculum vitae.
The deadline for admissions to the 2017 Ohio Community College Leadership Cohort is April 1, 2017.
Future Ohio Community College Leadership Cohorts
Given the growing need in Ohio for training in the area of community college leadership, the UT Higher Education program faculty will start a new doctoral cohort at OACC every three years, with the next cohort starting in the fall of 2020.
- History of Higher Education
- Research in Higher Education
- Student Development Theory
- The Community College
- Outcomes Assessment
- Finance of Higher Education
- Legal Issues in Higher Education
- Community College Leadership
- Federal and State Policy
- Personnel Management
- Critical Issues in Higher Education
- International Higher Education
- Policy Internship
- Quantitative Research
- Quantitative Research Design
- Qualitative Research
- Qualitative Research Design
- Concept Paper Seminar
- Literature Review Seminar
Total Credits: 61 credit hours
Dr. Ron Opp
Coordinator, Higher Education Doctoral Program
Department of School Psychology, Higher Education, and Counselor Education
Health and Human Service Building, Room 1300A
2801 W. Bancroft Street
Toledo OH 43606