ISLA: International Summer Leadership Academy
Ph.D. and master's students sightseeing in China during the 2013 International Summer
For a power point presentation on ISLA, click here.
What is ISLA: International Summer Leadership Academy?
ISLA is an international travel educational experience organized for Master’s and
Ph.D. students in the Higher Education Program. Each ISLA takes place in several countries
and at several decision-making levels that combines knowledge acquisition and know-how
training with intercultural immersion and exchange of best practices.
Upcoming Summer ISLA Opportunities:
- 2014 US Summer Leadership Academy to Washington, D.C. and Columbus, OH
- 2015 European Summer Leadership Academy
- 2016 China Summer Leadership Academy
Increasing globalization, economic downturns, and market fluctuations have resulted
in the increase in the numbers and relevance of community colleges and other short-cycle
higher education institutions and programs. The need for effective leadership in these
institutions has never been greater, yet there are few training programs designed
to prepare senior leaders. The International Summer Leadership Academy collaborates
with institutions in Europe and China to provide a global perspective on topics relevant
to short-cycle institutions today. Its pedagogical approach combines classroom-learning
from experts in given areas with workshops, multi-cultural immersion, and interactive
peer learning. The Academy is designed to enhance the professional growth of current
administrators through exposure to European and Chinese higher education policymakers,
institutional leaders, short-cycle higher education experts, and professional associations,
as well as through seminars, workshops, case studies, and involvement in a global
network of short-cycle higher education institutions.
Ph.D. students of the Higher Education program joined are by institutional
leaders from the Netherlands and Belgium in their visit of a
community college campus in Ohio.
- The UT Higher Education Program requires that all doctoral students participate in
two summer leadership academies as part of their doctoral program.
- Master's students are eligible to participate in these academies.
- The Ohio Community College Leadership Cohort will be participating in the US Summer Leadership Academy in the summer of 2014. More information on this academy will be forthcoming.
- The Four-Year College and University Leadership Cohort will be participating in the European Summer Leadership Academy in the summer of 2015.