Curriculum & Instruction




Curriculum & Instruction

Contact Us

Office of Student Services
3100 Gillham Hall, MS 914
Toledo, OH 43606


Department of Curriculum and Instruction
2000 Gillham Hall, MS 924
Toledo, OH 43606

Education Specialist in Curriculum and Instruction

Students in classThe Ed.S. in Curriculum and Instruction is designed to meet the needs of individuals involved with the curriculum, teaching and supervision aspects of discipline-centered areas of study. The degree provides patterns of study for teachers and supervisors who want an education beyond the master’s degree as a specialist, but who are not interested in a doctoral degree.  Specific areas represented are educational technology, elementary education, early childhood education, secondary education, special education and career and technical education. 

Admission to Educational Specialist Degree Programs

  • A bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year institution.
  • A master's degree from an accredited institution with a minimum grade point average of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale).
  • Application to The Graduate School.

General Requirements for Educational Specialist Programs

  • In consultation with an advisor, completion of a minimum of 30 semester hours of graduate coursework beyond the master’s level with a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
  • All course work for the Ed.S. must be taken within a six-year period.
  • Programs require the completion of a culminating experience, which may include field experiences, internships, or other professional projects (e.g., CI 7940, CIEC 7940) 
  • No more than six semester hours of credit from workshops (5/7950), problems or special topics courses (5/7980 or 6/8980) and independent studies (5/7990 or 6/8990) may be applied to a specialist’s program.

Students are required to develop a plan of study with their adviser that specifies the coursework that must be completed to fulfill degree requirements.  This plan must be filed prior to the completion of 15 semester hours and must be approved by the adviser, the college associate dean for graduate programs and research and the Graduate School.

Want more information? 


Call (419) 530-5371 or email



Last Updated: 1/18/18