ETD Process Overview (Electronic Thesis / Dissertation)
Step 1 - Format Review
- Submit your document as a PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org for a format review by the posted deadline. The subject line should be formatted
as: Last Name, First Name; Format Review. Please send from your UTAD email.
- A format review is strongly encouraged to prevent delays in graduation which could result in required re-application for a future term.
- You will receive e-mail notification, sent to your UTAD account, once your document has been reviewed. The e-mail will provide directions for correcting the document (if required) or will confirm your document is in compliance with the formatting guidelines. The email will also contain instructions and links for submitting to OhioLINK.
Step 2 - Schedule Defense
- Following your departmental protocol, schedule your defense. Strive to schedule it as early in the semester as possible so that you have time to make any requested changes before the final submission deadline. No extensions are given on the submission deadline and no changes are able to be made to the content after it has been submitted.
- Complete the Acceptance of Thesis or Dissertation for Defense form and the Intellectual Protection and Patent Sign-off form and submit both to the College of Graduate Studies as soon as you have your defense scheduled and room reserved, but no later than fifteen (15) days before your defense date. If approved by your college, the College of Graduate Studies will publicize your defense on our website: DEFENSE ANNOUNCEMENTS
Step 3 – ETD Upload and Required Forms Submission
- Complete the OhioLINK ETD Center submission process and upload final document (in PDF file format with fonts embedded) and any supplementary
files to OhioLINK by the posted deadline for the semester in which you are graduating. Your file will
be transferred to ProQuest from OhioLINK electronically, and you must select that option during the submission process.
- Reviewing the Instructions for the OhioLINK process is strongly recommended.
- The College of Graduate Studies will be notified immediately when your document has been uploaded to OhioLINK.
- If there are any problems with your document, you will be notified via your UTAD email and will be given five business days from the date the notification is sent to make necessary changes and upload your corrected document to OhioLINK. If the corrected document is not submitted to OhioLINK within the five business days or any of the required forms/processes are not completed, students may be required to re-apply for graduation for the next term.
- The final release of all theses and dissertations occurs after all degrees have been posted for the term, beginning approximately 30-45 days after the last day of the term.
- If you requested and were granted a publication delay, that embargo will be in place for one year. You must reapply with the College of Graduate Studies for renewal 30 days before the expiration date by submitting a new Intellectual Protection form.
- Submit Approval of Thesis or Approval of Dissertation form hard copy with all required signatures to the College of Graduate Studies by the posted deadline.
- Deadlines apply to all students submitting a thesis or dissertation and are strictly enforced.
- Check with your advisor to ensure that all department and college requirements and deadlines are met in a timely manner to ensure coordination and compliance with Graduate College deadlines.
- If you have questions about formatting, forms, or the submission process, please contact Thesis and Dissertation Services | 419.530.5249 or 419.383.4113 | or email: email@example.com
- If you have questions about graduation or other academic forms, please contact Graduation Services | 419.530.4269 or 419.383.4113 | or email: GCAcademicSvcs@utoledo.edu