WELCOME TO THE COLLEGE OF GRADUATE STUDIES
- Welcome from the Dean
- About COGS
- Diversity Plan
- Assessment Plan
- Prospective Graduate Students
- Current Graduate Students
- Faculty and Staff Resources
- Graduate Council
- Graduate Student Association
- Staff Directory
CONNECT WITH Us
Phone: 419.530.GRAD (4723)
Graduate Assistant Forms
How to complete a GAPA form
Click Here for GAPA Form
The person preparing the form is responsible for ensuring all information on the GAPA is correct. The following items especially need to be checked for accuracy:
- Rocket Number and date of birth must be present on all GAPA's
- Check eligibility of student before submitting form
- GPA at 3.0 or higher
- International students must have a Visa status of F1 or J1
- Ensure duties, Position Class/Title, PCN & Fee Subcode (Detail &Exemption Code) match
- International students must have a social security number, or have proof of application (receipt) for a SSN attached to the GAPA form before sending to the College of Graduate Studies.
- All GAPA's must have a signed yellow copy of the original GAPA attached
What documents need to be attached to the GAPA when submitting
The following steps should be used when attaching additional documents to the GAPA to eliminate lost documents which will delay processing of the GAPA. All additional documents must be originals except for COGS yellow copy of the GAPA. If multiple required documents are missing from the GAPA, all GAPAs will be returned to the Department.
All documents can be located on the Human Resource website (click here) unless a link is provided.
- Attach to the original GAPA in the following order
- State of Ohio Withholding
- W4 Federal Withholding - processed online only, through the students MyUT after student is set up in Banner as an employee.
- Ohio Public Employees Retirement System (OPERS)
- enrollment form plus SSA-1945 Social Security form, OR
- optional exemption as a student form (click here)
- Direct Deposit - processed online only, through the students MyUT after student is set up in Banner as an employee.
- Attach to yellow copy for COGS in the following order:
- Fraud Acknowledgement Form.
- I-9 (non U.S. citizens forms must be processed by the Office of International Student
Services located in SU 1533)
- List of Acceptable Documents
- Copy of Documents used for Section 2 or I-9.
- Offer Letter
- Background Check Authorization (Authorization to Release Information )
- Personal Information Form (PIF)
Please submit paperwork based on the following situations:
- Student did not register for classes or work on campus for one semester (normally this happens during summer semester). Submit original GAPA to COGS along with new DMA form and yellow copy of the GAPA.
- Student did not have an assistantship during summer, did not register for classes, however they did work on campus. Attach to original GAPA the OPERS exemption form if student does not want OPERS deducted from his/her paycheck, along with the yellow copy of the GAPA.
- Student did not register for classes for more than one semester, the following forms
need to be submitted:
- To original GAPA
- OPERS optional exemption as a student form (click here) OR
- OPERS enrollment form with SSA-1945
- Only yellow copy of GAPA
- To original GAPA
What are the deadlines to submit GAPAs plus additional documentation?
Although the College of Graduate Studies processes GAPAs as they are received, there are deadlines that need to be adhered to in conjunction with Grants Accounting and Payroll to ensure the documents are processed in a timely manner. Therefore, please follow the below deadlines. The only time these dates are not adhered to is the beginning of each semester when Business Managers and departmental staff are notified via email of the new due date. If you do not receive informational emails from COGS Business Manager, please email and request to be included in future emails.
- Grant GAPAs must be received by the College of Graduate Studies 5 days before payroll's deadline. Check the Payroll’s website (http://www.utoledo.edu/offices/controller/payroll/notices_schedules.html), scroll to the bottom of the page and select the year. Unless otherwise notified by email. This gives the College of Graduate Studies time to process the GAPA and deliver the documents to Grants Accounting for their deadline.
- All other GAPAs must be received by the College of Graduate Studies 4 days before the Payroll deadline (check payrolls website for deadlines).
Please note that GAPAs coming in after these deadlines are still processed and taken to Grants Accounting and Payroll, however there is no guarantee they will be processed in time for the payroll deadline.