Faculty & Staff: Graduate Assistant Information
How to complete a GAPA form
Click Here for GAPA Form
The person preparing the form is responsible for ensuring all information on the GAPA is correct. The following items especially need to be checked for accuracy:
- Rocket Number and date of birth must be present on all GAPA's
- Check eligibility of student before submitting form
- GPA at 3.0 or higher
- International students must have a valid Visa status.
- Ensure Position Class/Title match description for PCN and Detail & Exemption Code match.
- International students must have a social security number.
- All GAPA's must have a signed yellow copy of the original GAPA attached
What documents need to be attached to the GAPA when submitting
The following steps should be followed when attaching additional documents to the GAPA to eliminate lost documents which will delay processing of the GAPA. All additional documents must be originals except for COGS yellow copy of the GAPA.
All documents can be located on the College of Graduate Studies, Faculty and Staff Resources page, "New Hire Packet" (click here).
Submit the following documents along with GAPA to College of Graduate Studies (COGS) MS 933.
- Attach to the original GAPA in the following order
- Personal Information Form (PIF)
- I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification) 2 Pages
- Lists of Acceptable Documents 1 Page
- Copy of documents used in Section 2 of I-9
- Attach to yellow copy of GAPA, for COGS in the following order:
- Acknowledgement of receipt of Auditor of State Fraud Form
- Offer Letter
- Background Check Authorization (Authorization to Release Information) with a copy of social security card attached plus for International Students an International Background Check form must accompany the Authorization to Release form.
- All these forms are located here under the Staff section.
- Please Note: If any of the above mentioned is not attached, the GAPA will NOT be processed and WILL be returned to the submitting College.
THE FOLLOWING FORMS WILL BE REMOVED FROM YELLOW COPY AND SENT DIRECTLY TO PAYROLL, MS 459 ONCE RECEIVED IN COGS
Please attach behind the Background Check, Authorization Form
- State of Ohio Withholding - W4
- Ohio Public Employees Retirement System (OPERS)
- Enrollment - Personal History Record, plus SSA-1945 Social Security form (Statement Concerning Your Employment in a Job Not Covered by Social Security), OR
- Request for Optional Exemption As a Student
- Direct Deposit and federal withholding forms can be found under the employee tab on MyUT.
Starting Fall 2013, all Rehire GAPAs must have an Offer Letter attached.
Please submit paperwork based on the following situations:
- Graduate Assistants who were not registered for classes or worked on campus for one semester (normally this happens during summer semester), submit original GAPA and yellow copy to College of Graduate Studies (COGS).
- If student did not register for classes, but did work on campus, attach Request for Optional Exemption As a Student form to GAPA, if student no longer wishes to pay into OPERS.
What are the deadlines to submit GAPAs plus additional documentation?
Although the College of Graduate Studies processes GAPAs as they are received, there are deadlines that need to be adhered to in conjunction with Grants Accounting and Payroll to ensure the documents are processed in a timely manner. Therefore, please follow the below deadlines. The only time these dates are not adhered to is the beginning of each semester when Business Managers and departmental staff are notified via email of the new due date. If you do not receive informational emails from COGS, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and request to be included in future emails.
- Grant Funded GAPAs must be received by the College of Graduate Studies 5 days before payroll's deadline. Check the Payroll’s website (http://www.utoledo.edu/offices/controller/payroll/notices_schedules.html), scroll to the bottom of the page and select the year. Unless otherwise notified by email. This gives the College of Graduate Studies time to process the GAPA and deliver the documents to Grants Accounting by Payrolls deadline.
- All other GAPAs must be received by the College of Graduate Studies 4 days before the Payroll deadline (check payrolls website for deadlines).
Please note that GAPAs coming in after these deadlines are still processed and taken to Grants Accounting and Payroll, however there is no guarantee they will be processed in time for the payroll deadline.