WELCOME TO THE COLLEGE OF GRADUATE STUDIES
- Welcome from the Dean
- About COGS
- Diversity Plan
- Assessment Plan
- Prospective Graduate Students
- Current Graduate Students
- Faculty and Staff Resources
- Graduate Council
- Graduate Student Association
- Staff Directory
Phone: 419.530.GRAD (4723)
The following are minimum requirements for initial admission consideration to the respective programs in the College of Graduate Studies on both the Main Campus and Health Science Campus. In addition to the requirements listed below, please check the program website for any additional requirements.
Graduate Application Materials
- Earned Degree:
- Four-year Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited college or university required for:
- All applicants.
- Master’s Degree from a regionally accredited college or university required for:
- Education Specialist programs.
- Doctoral degree programs (unless otherwise indicated by department/program).
- Cumulative GPA:
- A 2.70 cumulative GPA for all previous academic work. All applicants with less than a 2.70 cumulative GPA on all undergraduate work are required to submit GRE scores.
- Some programs may have higher GPA requirements. Refer to the specific program's admission criteria for more information.
- GRE requirement:
- It is within the discretion of the various departments to require the GRE for all applicants.
- All applicants whose native language is not English will be required to submit GRE scores for all graduate programs.
- Exceptions include: Australia, Canada (non-francophone areas), England, Ireland, and New Zealand
- Test scores for GRE cannot be older than 5 years from the first day of the term that the student begins their program.
- For MD/PhD and MD/MS dual degree applicants, GRE scores are strongly recommended but MCAT scores may be accepted in lieu of GRE scores.
- GMAT requirement:
- The GMAT is required of all applicants seeking admissions to the College of Business & Innovation. GRE scores may be used in lieu of the GMAT with program approval.
- JD/MBA students may submit LSAT scores in lieu of the GMAT with program approval.
- Test scores for GMAT cannot be older than 5 years from the first day of the term that the student begins their program.
- Letters of Recommendation:
- Depending on the program, one to three letters of recommendation are required. Refer to the specific program's admission criteria for the required number of letters of recommendation.
- An optional online recommendation form is available on our admission forms webpage.
- Transcript requirement:
- The College of Graduate Studies requires official transcripts from all universities/colleges you are currently attending or have attended.
- Official transcripts are those sent directly from the institution to the College of Graduate Studies. Transcripts not received directly from the institution will be considered unofficial.
- TOEFL requirement: See below for details.
- In addition to the official, final transcripts, you must also provide official certified, or attested copies of all graduation certificates, diplomas or degree certificates needed to fulfill your admission.
- If you earned a degree from a U.S. degree granting institution, simply order a transcript to be sent to us directly from the school’s Registrars’ Office. Submitted transcripts become the property of The University of Toledo. We do not make photocopies of official documents.
- You must submit clear and legible photocopies of precise word-for-word English translations of all foreign language documents. English translations must be provided by the issuing institution or you may contact a translation service. Please refer to http://naces.org/members.htm for a list of acceptable evaluators. All arrangements must be made by you directly with the translation service.
- TOEFL/IELTS requirement:
- All applicants whose native language is not English must submit TOEFL or IELTS scores unless the applicant has graduated from a U.S., regionally accredited college or university or completed at least one full time academic year of study earning a 3.0 or greater GPA from a regionally accredited college or university. Countries of citizenship for which the TOEFL/IELTS requirement is waived include Australia, Canada (non-francophone areas), England, Ireland, and New Zealand.
- Please note that The University of Toledo does not offer conditional admission for international graduate applicants that have not met the English proficiency requirement.
- Applicants must achieve satisfactory scores on the TOEFL/IELTS.
- ** Updated 8-23-13** IELTS will be accepted for Spring 2014 and Summer 2014 only. Effective Fall 2014 we will no longer under any circumstance accept IELTS as a form of English language proficiency.
|Minimum Test Scores|
|GRE Minimum||varies by department|
Please note - Test scores for TOEFL/IELTS cannot be older than 2 years from the first day of the term that the student begins their program. In the event test scores are considered invalid and cancelled by ETS, The University of Toledo reserves the right to require submission of new test scores. Please contact the College of Graduate Studies if you have questions regarding this.
International Applicants, Financial Responsibility
- All international students must also demonstrate that they have adequate financial resources for their graduate education before they can be admitted. Upon recommendation of admission by the department, the College of Graduate Studies will request you provide the necessary financial support documents. Please check your online status for details regarding the amount required. Bank statements should display a statement of accounts (passbook) for the three months prior to notification of admission. Applicants will be emailed when an admissions decision has been made and a bank statement may be submitted at that time. Bank statements submitted at the time of application will not be accepted.
Still have questions? You can call us at 419.530.4723 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Submit Application Materials
|GRE/GMAT/TOEFL Scores||Must be submitted through ETS (www.ets.org) using institution code: 1845.|
|Official Transcripts||Must be mailed by the institution to the College of Graduate Studies office, or delivered by the applicant in an envelope sealed by the institution.|
|Letters of Recommendation||May be mailed to the College of Graduate Studies office, uploaded on the online application or emailed to email@example.com.|
|Resumes/Curriculum Vitae, Statements of Purpose, Writing Samples, Other Required Documents||May be uploaded with application, mailed to the College of Graduate Studies office, or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.|
Please note: Documents (Resumes, Statements of Purpose and Writing Samples) uploaded with the online application should not be resent by email or mail. This may delay the processing of the application file.
College of Graduate Studies Address:
College of Graduate Studies
2801 W. Bancroft St.
Mail Stop 933
Toledo, OH 43606