Private industry is beginning to look to higher education to partner in economic development. The University of Toledo has created Innovation Enterprises, an entity that is providing support to entrepreneurs, while helping to shape innovative ideas through research and development, subject matter expertise and the cultivation of fresh thinking.
- Connections to University Resources
- Business Formation & Commercialization
- Innovation Facilities
- Quality of Place
- Board of Directors
Interim Chief Executive Officer
To identify, facilitate, stimulate and support commercial activity that is aligned with the University’s vision and mission.
A Leader in Innovation and Economic Development
Universities are engines of economic development—from educating students for the demands of the 21st century workplace to fueling the scientific and technological discoveries that build new businesses.
The University of Toledo established Innovation Enterprises to build relationships between University of Toledo researchers and business leaders and to spur technological discoveries and commercialization. Innovation Enterprises assists The University of Toledo in coordinating economic development related activities for the economic growth of the region.
Innovation Enterprises supports the University of Toledo through the development, support and investment in services for public and private economic development projects.
- Supporting business development for UT’s new research center of excellence in Advanced Renewable Energy and the Environment and the Scott Park Campus of Energy and Innovation that brings together UT and other area University researchers focused on cutting-edge energy technologies that focus on wind, solar and biomass.
- Supporting the development of business incubation and business acceleration in energy, bioscience, and mixed-use technologies where students and community members are starting their own businesses and creating new jobs for local workers.
- Investing in UT spin-out companies and other affiliated companies: Nextronex, ADS Biotechnology, and Turning Point.
- Support for entrepreneurship activity at UT – the IE Challenge competition for UT students, faculty and staff that is funded by Innovation Enterprises and managed by the COBA’s Center for Technological Entrepreneurship and Innovation.
Innovation Enterprises, 501 (c) (3), a non-profit subsidiary, identifies, facilitates, stimulates and supports commercial activity that is aligned with the University of Toledo’s vision and mission and strategic development project in the community and region. IE’s main goals are to:
- Identify the needs of business and industry; promote alignment of the needs with The University of Toledo.
- Promote commercial activity with ties to The University of Toledo or recognized industry clusters that are associated with University of Toledo research.
- Enhance technology transfer and incubation and promote research for the purpose of improving our existing industry base.
- Create a culture of entrepreneurship and innovation among students, graduates and faculty.
- Increase collaboration with regional economic initiatives and organizations.