˜

 

The University of Toledo Archives
Manuscript Collection

 

Finding Aid

Toledo Medical College Collection, 1882 to 1983

UM-68

Size: 1 linear foot


Provenance: Unknown; Possibly Dr. Max Schnitker

Access: Open

Related Collections:  

Processing Note:

Condition: Good

Copyright: The literary rights to this collection are assumed to rest with the person(s) responsible for the production of the particular items within the collection, or with their heirs or assigns.  Researchers bear full legal responsibility for the acquisition to publish from any part of said collection per Title 17, United States Code.  The Ward M. Canaday Center for Special Collections may reserve the right to intervene as intermediary at its own discretion.

Completed by: Barbara Floyd, September 25th, 1990

Historical/Biographical Sketch

In 1882, a group of 18 Toledo physicians formed the Toledo Medical College. The College aimed to fully prepare students for the practice of medicine, awarding them the degree of Doctor of Medicine. The school operated for 32 years, first at the corner of Superior and Monroe streets, and moving in 1892 to Cherry and Page streets. In 1904, the college affiliated with the University of Toledo. For a brief time, the University moved its classes to the Medical College building.

The Toledo Medical College was a casualty of the medical education reform movement. In 1913, a group of Toledo doctors told the Ohio State Medical Board that the college lacked necessary equipment to train doctors. The school closed its doors the following year.

 Money remaining in the college’s fund after selling the building at Cherry and Page to UT was turned over to the university, and was to be maintained by the UT Board of Directors “until such time as they deemed it advisable to establish a school in connection with the University for teaching the science of medicine and surgery”. In 1969, with the establishment of the Medical College of Ohio at Toledo as a separate institution, the university turned over the funds, totaling $51,704, to MCO officials. The funds were to be used to provide scholarships to needy students.


Scope and Content Note

This collection contains administrative files and miscellaneous records concerning the history of the Toledo Medical College. Some records appear to be official college records. These include a minute book of the board of trustees dating 1882-1917. Also included is a tuition register, copies of some legal documents, and correspondence concerning the expenditure of Toledo Medical College funds. Some of the funds were used to finance a medical institute for area doctors, and programs from all of these institutes are included in the collection.

In addition to the official records, the collection contains material apparently collected by Mary Gillham and Dr. Max Schnitker concerning the history of the college. Included in this material are newspaper clippings and working copies and a published copy of Schnitker and Walter Hartung’s The Toledo Medical College 1882-1914.

Due to the nature of the collection and lack of provenance information, no attempt has been made to separate official records from unofficial records of the college. For a related collection, see MSS-044, Academy of Medicine of Toledo and Lucas County.

Folder List

Box

Folder

Item Description

1

1

Bowman, Dr. H.H.M., biographical information 1942-1968

1

2

Bowman, Dr. H.H.M., Biology, 15 materials 1952-1956

1

3

Bowman, Dr. H.H.M., lecture notes n.d.

1

4

Correspondence, union w/ Toledo University 1894-1904

1

5

Graduates, Toledo Medical College 1903-1953

1

6

Hickerson, Frank R., Correspondence re: article on Toledo Medical College, 1962

1

7

History, miscellaneous materials 1882-1983

1

8

Illinois State Board of Health Correspondence 1882-1894

1

9

Legal Documents 1883-1968

OS-182

OC-1

Legal Documents, 1883 (oversized)

1

10

Medical College Fund Correspondence 1959-1962

1

11

Medical Institutes, Medical College Fund Correspondence 1934-1951

1

12

Medical Institutes, programs, 1934-1951

1

13

Photographs, buildings

1

14

Photographs, faculty and administration

1

15

Photographs, miscellaneous

1

16

Photographs, students

OS-182

OC-1

Photograph- Students (oversized)

1

17

Schnitker, Dr. Max T., historical records, 1917-1959

1

18

Schnitker, Dr. Max T., historical records, 1933-1940

1

19

Schnitker, Dr. Max T., “History of the Toledo Medical College” working copies, 1969

1

20

Schnitker, Dr. Max T. and Hartung, Dr. Walter, published history of the Toledo Medical College, 1974

1

21

Toledo Medical College Board of Trustees, minute book, 1882-1917

1

22

Tuition register, 1899-1908

 

 

Last Updated: 6/9/16