Canaday Center Photo-Reproduction Policies
Photocopying, Scanning, and printing policies
Canaday Center collections do not circulate because they contain unique and historic materials, but reproduction services are available. Some items – photographs, scrapbooks, early bulletins, books with embrittled paper or deteriorated bindings --are extremely fragile and no longer are in print. Therefore, such items will not be photocopied if Staff determines that the procedure may injure the materials.
- The Ward M. Canaday Center for Special Collections reserves the right to limit the reproduction of any material based on condition of original.
- Providing reproductions does not constitute a license to publish or reproduce images in print or electronic form.
- Archival collections shall not be reproduced in their entirety.
- Photocopying of any archival or special collection materials will be limited to 100 copies or 10% whichever is smaller.
- Published works cannot be copied in their entirety due to copyright restrictions (see below).
- Researchers assume all responsibilities for adhering to U. S. Copyright Law and Fair Use Guidelines (17 U.S.C.), including seeking use permissions from the copyright holder and payment of any royalty fees, in the reproduction and use of archival materials.
- Text reproductions are limited to photocopying. Some additional donor restrictions may apply.
- Image reproductions are scanned by staff only. With special permission, self-scanning may be possible. Digital images will be provided in a file format other than TIFF suited for individual use. Researchers may be permitted to use a personal digital camera after consulting Canaday Center staff. All photographing activity shall follow the policies above.
- For patrons who are not University of Toledo students, faculty, or staff, the charge for photocopying is US$ 0.20 per page, payable upon receiving the copies.
- Digital images up to 5 may be delivered via email for no charge. Over 5 images will be saved on a CD for a $10 fee.
- All requests originating off site are charged a $5.00 handling fee.
- Payments for services can be made using a check or money order, in U.S. currency, and mailed to The University of Toledo.
The Ward M. Canaday Center for Special Collections
The University of Toledo, Mail Stop 509
Toledo, Ohio 43606-3390
The Canaday Center will attempt to process requests as quickly as possible; however, staff shortage or unusual increase in patron traffic may delay the process. In that case, patrons will be contacted in a timely manner. Completed requests are generally sent to the requestor via U.S. Mail, First Class or through other services if requestor provides a pre-paid shipping label.
Patrons can request and receive copies of yearbooks if there is a surplus for the year requested. The charge for a yearbook supplied is $5.00. The University of Toledo ceased publishing its yearbook, the Blockhouse, after 1971. Patrons interested in a digital copy of the yearbooks may access them by year in our UTOPIA institutional archive.
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. In addition, the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 extends the protection of intellectual content in digital form made available on the World Wide Web. Under certain conditions specified in the law (“Fair Use”), libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law. Patrons will be notified of the acceptance or refusal of photo-reproduction requests.
Patrons requesting copies of materials held at the Canaday Center, will be asked to submit a completed request form. If the request is approved, patrons will be notified upon completion of the request along with instructions for payment if applicable.Request form