- UT Library Catalog | Reserves
- Library Record (Renew) | ILLiad
- Online Journals List
- Research Databases
...find articles and more!
- UT Libraries Homepage
- Libraries & Collections »
- Carlson Library (Main)
- Mulford Library (Health)
- McMaster Library (Engineering)
- Canaday Center (Special Collections)
- LaValley Library (Law)
- NW Ohio Depository
- UTOPIA Institutional Archive
- UT Digital Repository
- Directions & Floorplans
- I'm Looking For... »
- Help with Research »
- 1. Choosing/Refining a Topic
- 2. UT Library Catalog
- Research Databases
- Journals vs. Magazines
- Using Google Effectively
- 3. Evaluating your Sources
- 4. Citation Basics (APA, MLA)
- EndNote Software
- Writing Annotations
- Ask a Librarian
- Subject Librarians
- Services »
- Circulation/Check Out
- -OhioLINK Borrowing
- Interlibrary Loan (ILLiad)
- Connecting from Home
- Accessibility Services
- Faculty Services (more)
- Graduate Student Services
- Technical Services Unit
- About Us »
- News & Events
- Directions & Floorplans
- Library Personnel Directory
- Work at the Library
- Policies & Mission Statement
- Giving to the Libraries
- More for Faculty & Researchers
Business & Economics Librarian
Master of Business Administration, Cleveland State University, Cleveland, Ohio, 2002
Master of Library Science, Kent State University, Kent, Ohio, 1992
Bachelor of Arts in English, Kent State University, Kent, Ohio, 1991
Julia has been at Carlson Library since August 2005. She is a reference librarian and liaison to the College of Business and Innovation and the Department of Economics. Her responsibilities include reference work, collection development, and library instruction. Prior to her work at UT, Julia worked at both academic and public libraries and taught university students in China.
Selected Publications & Presentations
Martin, J. A., Reaume, K. M., Reeves, E. M., & Wright, R. D. (2012, August). Relationship building with students and instructors of ESL: Bridging the gap for library instruction and services. Reference Services Review, 40(3), 352-367.
Sherman, M. D., & Martin, J. A. (2011). Using library resource materials to integrate deep information and externality impacts into semi-live finance case course analyses. Journal of Instructional Techniques in Finance, 3(1), 1-13.
Sherman, M. D., Martin, J. A., & An, X. (2011, December). The impact of library instruction on the quality of student project performance in an advanced financial management case class. Journal of Business and Finance Librarianship, 17(1), 51-76.
Martin, J. A. (2010, April). Understanding faculty needs: A case study at the University of Toledo. Journal of Library and Information Science, 36(1), 16-35. Retrieved from http://jlis.glis.ntnu.edu.tw/ojs/index.php/jlis/article/viewFile/577/540 (invited)
Martin, J. A. (2010, July). A case study of academic library and economic development center collaboration at the University of Toledo. Journal of Business and Finance Librarianship, 15(3&4), 237-252.
Martin, J. A. (2010). Similarities and differences in American and Chinese university education. Journal of the World Universities Forum, 3(1), 51-61.
Sherman, M. D. & Martin, J. A. (2012, February 9). Teaching finance case courses without cases: A semi-live approach to the introduction of students to real world problems and solutions. Presentation conducted at the Academy of Economics and Finance 39th Annual Meeting, Charleston, SC.
Martin, J. A. (2011, May 5). Beliefs and Policies of Chinese Libraries. Presentation conducted at the annual meeting of the Michigan Library Association: Academic Libraries Conference, Grand Rapids, MI.
Martin, J. A., Reeves, E.M., Reaume, K., Wright, R.D., & Dielman, N. (2010, November 13). Relationship building with students and instructors of ESL: Bridging the gap for library instruction and services. Presentation conducted at the annual meeting of the Ohio TESOL Conference, Columbus, OH.
Martin, J. A., Reeves, E.M., Reaume, K., Wright, R.D., & Dielman, N. (2010, October 29). Relationship building with students and instructors: Bridging the gap for library instruction and services. Presentation conducted at the annual meeting of the Academic Library Association of Ohio, Columbus, OH. Selected by the Diversity Committee as their sponsored program.
Martin, J. A. (2010, July 28, August 2, August 9). Laws, policies, and strategic plans of U.S. libraries. Presentations conducted at 3 separate sessions of the China – U.S. Librarians Professional Exchange Project sponsored by the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services and the P.R. of China’s Ministry of Culture, Changchun, Jilin Province; Harbin, Heilongjiang Province; Hefei, Anhui Province.
Martin, J. A. (2010, May 22). Academic library and economic development center collaborate to assist local inventors. Paper presentation at the Chinese American Librarians Association Midwest Conference, River Forest, Illinois.
Martin, J. A. (2010, January 11). Similarities and differences in American and Chinese university education. Virtual paper presentation conducted at the Third World Universities Forum.
Martin, J.A. (2009, August 20). Survey of University of Toledo faculty in the Colleges of Business Administration, Engineering, and Education. Presentation conducted at the Michigan Academic Business Librarians Meeting, Ypsilanti, Michigan.
Martin, J.A. (2009, March 20). American and Chinese university education and libraries. Presentation conducted at the Toledo Area Librarians Association regular meeting, Toledo, Ohio.
Martin, J.A. (2008, October 24). Services and instruction provided to students and faculty by subject specialists. Presentation conducted at the CALA 21st Century Librarian Seminar Series, Wuhan, China.
Bove, F. J., & Martin, J. A. (2006, November 3). Potato, potato, tudou: Similarities in American and Chinese university education and libraries overshadow differences. Presentation conducted at the annual meeting of the Academic Library Association of Ohio, Akron, OH. Selected by the Diversity Committee as its sponsored program.
Current University and Professional Service
- Faculty Council Executive Committee, University Libraries (Chair, July 2012-present)
- Global Programming Specialist Committee (Member, January 2012-present)
- Library Liaison Committee, College of Business Administration (Member, August 2005-present)
- Ad hoc Library Marketing Committee, University Libraries (Co-chair, September 2008-present)
- University of Toledo Chapter, Circle K International (Faculty Advisor, May 2006-present)
- Executive Committee, Business Reference and Services Section, Reference and User Services Association, American Library Association (Secretary, July 2012-present
- Membership Committee, Business Reference and Services Section, Reference and User Services Association, American Library Association (Member, July 2010-present)
- Business and Economics Group, Cooperative Information Resources Management Committee, OhioLINK (Member, August 2005-present)
- Kiwanis International, West Toledo Chapter (Programs Chair October 2009-present; Literacy Chair January 2007-present, Ohio District 2011 Convention Committee member October 2010-August 2011)