Director, Mulford Health Science Library
- Bachelor of Science in Biology, The Ohio State University, June 1991
- Master of Library Science, Kent State University, May 1994
- Graduate Certificate in Medical and Health Sciences Education, Medical College of Ohio, June 2003
- Doctoral course work in educational research and measurement and educational psychology, University of Toledo
As Director, Jolene oversees information services at the Mulford Library and serves as a liaison to University Libraries' access, technical, and computer services departments. With the other librarians at Mulford, she provides multifaceted reference service in the library (face-to-face, phone, email, chat) and meets with faculty and staff in their offices or labs; conducts literature searches for clinical care and research; and has been a guest lecturer in courses in the Colleges of Health Science and Human Service, Medicine, and Nursing. She is closely involved with the Department of Physician Assistant Studies, the department in which she has her faculty home, and for which she was the Scholarly Project Coordinator for a number of years. Jolene facilitates problem-based learning small groups of first-year medical students for Clinical Reasoning and teaches in "Mastering the Biomedical Literature: Skill Sets for the Virtual Environment," a two-week elective for fourth-year medical students. She selects material in the pre-clinical sciences for Mulford.
Jolene has worked at the Mulford Library since 1995, when she was hired as the Reference/Education Librarian; in 2005, she became the Coordinator of Information Services. Prior to her work at the University of Toledo (Medical College of Ohio; Medical University of Ohio), she worked as a reference/instruction librarian at Cleveland State University.
- University Biomedical Institutional Review Board, member,
- University HLC Accreditation Criterion Four Team, co-chair
- University HLC Accreditation Steering Team, member
- College of Medicine Liaison Committee on Medical Education, Educational Resources Committee, member
- College of Medicine Executive Curriculum Committee, member
- College of Medicine Preclinical Curriculum Committee, member
- College of Medicine Clinical Coordinators group, member
- Department of Physician Assistant Studies Admissions Committee, member
- College of Graduate Studies Representative for MSN thesis defenses
- University Libraries' Elections and Bylaws Revision Committee, member
- Medical Library Association: Credentialing Committee, 2010-present; MLA News Editor Search Committee, 2005; Credentialing Committee, 1997-2000
- Midwest Chapter, Medical Library Association: 2009 Meeting Registration Chair, 2007-2009
- Academic Library Association of Ohio: Board Member, 2004-2006; Chair of Research and Publications Committee, 2005-2006
- Porter, M. A., & Miller, J. M. (2006). Reference triage at the Medical University of Ohio: Just-in-case to just-in-time at the Mulford Library. In Connor, E. (ed.), An Introduction to Reference Services in Academic Libraries (pp. 23-33). New York: Haworth Press.
- Miller, J. M. (2004). Issues surrounding the administration of a credit course for medical students: Survey of U.S academic health science librarians. Journal of the Medical Library Association, 92(3), 354-363. [PMC (formerly PubMed Central]
- Miller, J. M. (2001). A framework for the multiple roles of librarians in problem-based learning. Medical Reference Services Quarterly, 20(3), 23-30.
- Miller, J. M. (2001). [Author and subject indexes]. In Bond, T. G., & Fox, C. M. (Eds.), Applying the Rasch model: Fundamental measurement in the human sciences (pp. 245-255). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
Jolene also serves as a librarian-selector for Doody's Core Titles in the areas of anatomy/embryology, microbiology, pathology, solid-organ transplantation, and urology; and she reviews basic medical science resources for Choice Magazine:
- Miller, J. M. (2011). [Review of Black Hospitals in America: History, Contributions, and Demise]. Choice: Current Reviews for Academic Libraries, 48(10).
- Miller, J. M. (2011). [Review of Atlas of Immunology, CRC Press]. Choice: Current Reviews for Academic Libraries, 48(9).
- Miller, J. M. (2011). [Review of Anatomica: The Complete Home Medical Reference]. Choice: Current Reviews for Academic Libraries, 48(8), 1452.
- Miller, J. M. (2011). [Review of Web of Science; http://www.isiknowledge.com]. Choice: Current Reviews for Academic Libraries,48(5), 867-868.
- Miller, J. M. (2010). [Review of Atlas of Human Anatomy,5th ed.]. Choice: Current Reviews for Academic Libraries,48(3), 473.
- Miller, J. M. (2010). [Review of the online Human Anatomy Videos; http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/anatomyvideos.html]. Choice: Current Reviews for Academic Libraries,48(3).
- Miller, J. M. (2010). [Review of Encyclopedia of Microbiology, 3rd ed.]. Choice: Current Reviews for Academic Libraries, 47(11), 2075-2076.
- Miller, J. M. (2010). [Review of Netter’s Clinical Anatomy, 2nd ed.]. Choice: Current Reviews for Academic Libraries, 47(10), 1960.
- Miller, J. M. (2010). [Review of the online video series Unseen Life on Earth; http://www.learner.org/resources/ series121.html]. Choice: Current Reviews for Academic Libraries, 47(6), 1095.
- Miller, J., Jameson, J., Kumar, S., & Natal, G. (2010). Diversity plans for academic libraries: Making sure we get there from here.Poster presentation at National Diversity in Libraries Conference, Princeton, NJ, 16 July 2010.
- Mi, M., Porter, M., Miller, J., Jameson, J. & Natal, G. (2009). Improving medical students' learning outcomes: Teaching a web-assisted elective course for fourth-year medical students. Poster presentation at the Midwest Chapter/MLA Annual Conference, Columbus, Ohio, 5 October 2009.
- Porter, M. A., & Miller, J. M. (2008). Mastering the biomedical literature: Preparing for learning-centered practice. Poster presentation at Association of American Medical Colleges, Central Group on Educational Affairs Spring Meeting, Columbus, Ohio, 10 April 2008.
- Miller, J. M. (2003). Learning to make a difference to students in specialized programs: Adapting the Texas Information Literacy Tutorial for students in the health sciences. Poster presentation at the Association for Academic and Research Libraries Conference, Charlotte, North Carolina, 12 April 2003.
- Miller, J. M. (2000). Problem-based learning inside and out: Multiple roles for librarians. Poster presentation at the Academic Library Association of Ohio Annual Meeting, Ashland University, 3 November 2000.
Grants & Awards
- Medical Library Association, Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished Level, 2007
- Medical Library Association Research, Development, and Demonstration Grant, $200, 2000
- Medical Library Association Frank Bradway Rogers Information Advancement Award for work on HealthWeb, 1998