Welcome to the Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences Program
Track Name: Bone Biology and Orthopaedic Sciences
The Program provides broad basic science research training and clinical research background for the next generation of research scientists and clinicians. Students will be exposed to bone and soft tissue biology and anatomy, with ample opportunities to view the field of orthopaedics in its entirety. Most students continue on to medical school or residency training. Students are also prepared to pursue careers in the biomedical field with an emphasis in orthopaedics.
Our internationally recognized faculty members are well-funded by extramural grant agencies including both federal and industrial. The students work closely with Dr. Martin Skie, Program Track Director and Orthopaedic Surgeon; and Dr. Vijay Goel, Chairman of the Bioengineering department. Our unique partnership with the Department of Bioengineering on the main campus of University of Toledo allows our researchers and physicians to have access to not only lab and research facilities, but also to the expertise of scientists in the biomechanics field.
A student in the Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences program will achieve the following learning outcomes:
- Students should gain an understanding of basic and complex principles of biomechanics
- Students should be able to identify and understand the causes and management for different bone diseases
- Students should master anatomy as it relates to orthopaedic injuries and conditions
- Students should gain an understanding of the basic principles of bone tissue engineering and regenerative medicine
- Students will learn the use of different stem cell technologies
- Students will learn and be able to identify different types of fixation used for orthopaedic trauma procedures
- Students will learn to properly identify sports medicine injuries and the effective management
- Students will learn to properly identify spinal injuries and disorders and the effective management
- Students will learn to properly identify hand and foot disorders and the effective management
- Students will learn about degenerative processes and when hip and knee replacements are needed