- Platelet Storage Pool Deficiency Analysis
- Diagnostic Electron Microscopy Services
- For Researchers
- For Students
- Equipment and Facility
- Image Bank
- About Us
- Contact Us
- Clinical Services in Pathology
- Electron Microscopy Facility
- Molecular Diagnostics Laboratory
- Clinical Microbiology Laboratory
- Pathology Home
Health Science Campus
Block Health Science
Basement: Room 029
An Electron Microscopy study can be carried out on virtually any tissue of the body; the EM laboratory applies specific protocols to tissues in order to fine tune micrographic imaging for clear ultrastructure analysis.
Common tissues submitted for evaluation of ultrastructures include renal, platelet, skeletal and cardiac muscle, lung, as well as ciliary brushings.
- Instructions for Tissue Submission for Electron Microscopy
- Specimen Deliver Addresses
- Equipment for Clinical Analysis
Instructions for Tissues Submission for Transmission Electron Microscopy (Tissue Submission Instructions PDF)
When submitting a tissue for clinical evaluation, please complete and print the E.M. Requisition Form for Reference Laboratory Testing.
Tissue Sample Collection (i.e., kidney, tumor specimens):
- Place minced (1 mm cubes) specimen in 3% glutaraldehyde immediately.
- Send specimen at ambient temperature in a vial containing 3% glutaraldehyde.
- Muscle tissue: specimen should be collected with a Price Muscle Clamp.
- Specimen must be fixed in 3% glutaraldehyde for 24 hrs while attached to clamp.
Nasal or Ciliary Mucosal Biopsy:
- Should be placed in Cell or Viral Culture Transport Media. Important: DO NOT FIX the specimen.
- Optimal time for obtaining best results is to send tissue within 1 to 2 hrs of collection.
- Send immediately to Dr. Gunning at the address below.
Delivery Times: Send specimen at ambient temperature via overnight delivery. Samples are accepted and run Monday through Friday. The laboratory is CLOSED weekends and holidays.
Testing Method: Standard tissue processing methods for Electron Microscopy are used to obtain ideal sections for analysis.
Specimen Analysis: Direct examination of tissue ultrastructure.
Via Fed Ex or DHL:
University of Toledo Medical Center
3000 Arlington Avenue
Toledo, OH 43614
Phone: (419) 383 - 3752
|Attention: Dr. W.T. Gunning
Department of Pathology
University of Toledo
Health Science Campus
Block Health Sciences Bldg., Room 029
3035 Arlington Avenue
Toledo, OH 43614-5804
Phone: (419) 383 - 3484