- Course Schedules
- Department Faculty
- Master of Science in Occupational Health (MSOH)
- Master of Public Health (MPH)
- Certificate in Biostatistics and Epidemiology or Certificate in Epidemiology
- Certificate in Contempory Gerontological Practice
- Certificate in Occupational Health
- Certificate in Public Health & Emergency Response
- Certificate in Global Health
- MPH/MBA Dual Degree
- MPH/MD Dual Degree
- 3+2 BS/MPH Dual Degree
- Diversity at UT
- College of Medicine and Life Sciences
- Center for Successful Aging
- Public Health Student Organization (PHSO)
- Public Health & Preventive Medicine on Facebook
- PUBLIC HEALTH AND PREVENTIVE MEDICINE IN ACTION
- Job Postings in Public Health
Health Science Campus
Janis Brown, Assistant to the Chair
Fourth Floor/Room 4416
- History and Mission
- Program Educational Objectives, Student Outcomes, and Program Delivery
- Curriculum Design
- Plan of Study
- MSOH External Advisory Committee
- Application and Admission
- Nondiscrimination Policy
- Course Descriptions
- Course Schedule
- Graduate School: Student Handbook
- Registration, Plan of Study, and Other Forms
- ABIH Code of Ethics
- AIHA Ethical Principles
- Job Postings in Public Health
The MS in Occupational Health degree program is available in Industrial Hygiene. Industrial Hygiene professionals are involved in understanding and implementing scientific, technical, and regulatory aspects that focus on preventing and controlling workers' exposures to factors and agents that can cause them harm.
The profession focuses on prevention of exposure or occurrence and mitigation of factors
and agents that contribute to worker harm, as work-related illnesses and injuries.
The curriculum at the University of Toledo - Health Science Campus consists of advanced courses and research designed to prepare and qualify students for entry- and upper-level positions as Industrial Hygiene Specialists at governmental agencies, manufacturing and service industries, labor unions, consulting firms, insurance agencies, health care organizations, and academic institutions.
In addition, the curriculum will benefit those intending to eventually take applicable
certification examinations, such as the American Board of Industrial Hygiene CIH and/or
Board of Certified Safety Professionals CSP examinations.
The comprehensive and flexible curriculum provides a solid foundation of information for students with limited or no background in Industrial Hygiene, while simultaneously offering students with professional experience the opportunity to expand their scope of knowledge and skills.
The program offers classes during evenings and weekends to facilitate graduate study
for those engaged in full-time daily employment. The schedule also permits students
without applicable practical experience to complete an internship.
Candidates for the MSOH degree may expand knowledge or specialize in an aspect of Industrial Hygiene via thesis research or a scholarly project in applied areas. The MSOH degree is awarded to candidates upon satisfactory completion of graduate coursework and a scholarly project or thesis.
The Industrial Hygiene program is accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology - Applied Science Accreditation Commission (ABET ASAC), ABET, Inc., Baltimore, MD 21202.
For Additional Information Contact:
Farhang Akbar, Ph.D., CIH
Professor and Director of MSOH Degree Program
College of Medicine and Life Sciences
Department of Public Health and Preventive Medicine
University of Toledo - Health Science Campus
Room 4226 Collier Bldg.
3000 Arlington Avenue
Toledo, OH 43614-5803