|Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry Quick Facts
- The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry research operation is housed in Wolfe
Hall, which opened in 1998.
- The Chemistry and Biochemistry portion of Bowman-Oddy Laboratories has been renovated
to a state-of-the-art chemistry teaching facility. Major laboratory renovation was completed during Summer 2005.
- Third largest department on campus based on FTEs taught.
- 4693 students enrolled in chemistry classes for Fall 2007; an increase of 51% since
- The B.S. chemistry curriculum has been certified by the American Chemical Society since 1953. The M.S. degree has
been offered for more than 80 years and the Ph.D. since 1967.
- Top producer of Ph.D. scientists on campus; 81 since 1990 (also 86 MS degrees)
Faculty in Chemistry and Biochemistry
- Faculty in Chemistry and Biochemistry have received The University of Toledo Outstanding
Teaching Award 6 times.
- Faculty in Chemistry and Biochemistry have received The University of Toledo Outstanding Research Award 11 times since 1985.
- Faculty members in Chemistry and Biochemistry have been named Master Teachers in Arts & Sciences 5 times since 1991.
- Four year average (2000-2004) of $1.67M per year in external funding to support research,
generated by 12-15 faculty during this time.
Recent individual faculty honors include:
- National Science Foundation Career Award: Jared Anderson, Terry Bigioni, Tim Mueser, Cora Lind, Joseph Schmidt
- The University of Toledo Outstanding Research Award: Ron Viola
- Immediate Past President, Pittsburgh Diffraction Society: Alan Pinkerton
- President of American Crystallography Association: Alan Pinkerton
- American Chemical Society Committee on Education: Andy Jorgensen
- Carnegie Foundation Professor of the Year, UT Nominee for 2005: Andy Jorgensen
- Board of Directors of the Society of Electroanalytical Chemistry: Jon Kirchhoff
- Distinguished University Professors: Alan Pinkerton, Ron Viola, Max Funk