2009 Lake Erie Center News and Reports
- Joshua Brown (advisor: Dr. Carol Stepien) successfully defended his Ph.D. dissertation,
"Genetic Portraits of Introduced Gobies and Mussels: Population Variation Delineates
Invasion Pathways," on Tuesday, November 24, 2009.
- 150 years since ‘The Origin of Species’: Ohio State University professor visits UT
to discuss the life and work of Charles Darwin, The Independent Collegian, November 19, 2009
- Darwin Day to celebrate 200th birthday of controversial thinker, UT News, November 16, 2009
- LEC graduate students Kris Barneswell and Osvaldo Jhonatan Sepulveda Villet won 1st place awards in the Environmental Sciences
Division of the 2009 Sigma Xi/Scholars' Celebration Student Research Symposium, held
October 24, 2009 at the University of Toledo.
- Lake Erie Center featured in the November issue of UT Matters. View the feature ad (PDF).
- Massive algae blooms threaten Lake Erie, Detroit News, October 10, 2009
- The LEC's rain garden dedication was held with Congresswoman Marcy Kaptur on Monday,
October 5, 2009. View the Channel 13/ABC report and theEcoTrack 11 feature.
- Lake Erie algae blooms linked to underwater sediment shifts, Toledo Blade, September 29, 2009
- Dr. Tom Bridgeman and graduate student Justin Chaffin's research on harmful algal
blooms is featured in the Summer/Fall 2009 issue of Twine Line.Download a PDF of the publication
- Dr. Robert Brundage honored in fund for scholarship, $500 awards to benefit Lake Erie
Center researchers, Toledo Blade, September 28, 2009
- Increase in Lake Erie algae worries scientists; system will help sound warning, Cleveland Plain Dealer, September 23, 2009
- Dr. Carol Stepien featured in "The Siscowette: profiling women in science in the Great
Lakes," September 2009 (view online or download the PDF)
- Matthew Neilson (advisor: Dr. Carol Stepien) successfully defended his dissertation, "Evolution,
systematics, and phylogeography of Ponto-Caspian gobies (Benthophilinae: Gobiidae:
Teleostei)" on Thursday, September 10, 2009.
- Graduate student opportunity - fish ecosystem research, Maumee Bay region; Department
of Environmental Sciences and Lake Erie Center. Click for more details.
- Scientists take technology to the sky to battle Lake Erie algae, EcoTrack 11 article and interview with Dr. Tom Bridgeman, August 24, 2009
- SkySentry Aerostat balloon to keep tabs on algae growth in Lake Erie, Cleveland Plain Dealer, August 20, 2009
- LEC graduate student Audra Croskey (advisor Dr. Jon Bossenbroek) defended her M.Sc.
thesis, "Evaluating the costs of the emerald ash borer invasion in Ohio," on Tuesday,
August 18, 2009.
- LEC graduate student Justin Chaffin defended his M.Sc. thesis, "Physiological Ecology
of Microcystis Blooms in Turbid Waters of Western Lake Erie," on July 21, 2009 (advisor:
Dr. Tom Bridgeman)
- UT expertise to take center stage during monthly broadcast on WJR (Drs. Stepien and
Moorhead are scheduled guests), UT News, June 22, 2009
- Graduate students Colleen Gorey and Osvaldo Jhonatan Sepulveda Villet were given "Student of the Month" awards at the Public Lecture on June 18, 2009,
for their outstanding contributions during the 2009 IAGLR conference.
- Lake Erie Center VHS research featured in Great Lakes Echo (6/18/2009)
- Dr. Gottgens featured on WTOL's Ecotrack 11 report on rain gardens (5/29/2009)
- Media coverage from The International Association for Great Lakes Research (IAGLR)
52nd annual conference, "Bridging Ecosystems and Environmental Heath across our Great
Lakes," held May 18 - 22, 2009, at the University of Toledo.
- UT News, "UT to be awash in Great Lakes research" (3/10/2009)
- Dr. Stepien featured on WTOL's Ecotrack 11, "Great Lakes Day." (2/19/2009)
Return to LEC News & Reports Main Page
LEC News from 2010
LEC News from 2008