6200 Bayshore Rd.
Welcome to the LEC
- Lake Erie Center Home
- Upcoming Events
- Faculty, Staff & Students
- LEC Job Openings
- Algal Bloom Updates
- News & Reports
- Education & Outreach
- NEW Summer Courses (Apply Now)
- NSF REU Program (Apply Now)
- LEC Art Contest
- Prospective Students
- FOLEC (Friends of the LEC)
- Sigma Xi
- LEC Photo Contest
- NSF GK-12 Program
- Maps and Directions
- Contact Us
- View the Winter/Spring 2015
- View our recent press releases
- Lake Erie Center Weather Station
- View streaming video from our recent public lectures
- Learn about our Environmental Sensor Network
- Wetlands Restoration Project
- UT Water Task Force
- 2015 LEC Summer Courses
6200 Bayshore Rd.
Oregon, OH 43616
Thursdays 7:00 pm
Thursdays 7:00 pm
- - Lake Erie Center Public Lecture: Dr. Bruce Manny, USGS Great Lakes Science Center, "Giants of the deep -- Restoration of lake sturgeon in the central Great Lakes.” Thurs. March 19
- - Lake Erie Center Public Lecture: Dr. Jhonatan Sepulveda-Villet, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, "Feeding fish today, feeding families tomorrow: promoting food security through Great Lakes aquaculture.” Thurs. April 30
- - 2015 Nature of Maumee Bay Science Camps for Kids: Science camp featuring laboratory exercises, art, and outdoor activities at The University of Toledo's Lake Erie Center in Oregon! Class size is limited! For more information, click the link above.
- - Lake Erie Center 2015 Art Contest: Due March 30, 2015!
- Fall/Winter 2009 LEC newsletter available (9/30/09)
- Lake Erie Center releases 2009 annual report (8/28/2009)
- Spring/Summer 2009 LEC newsletter available (04/16/2009)
- Recent LEC talks by Dr. David Schwab and Dr. Tim Berra are now available on our video page.
- UT Lake Erie Research Center tries to curb Carp invasion, NBC 24 Toledo, December
- Scott's watershed team gets immersed in work, by Steve Pollick, Toledo Blade, December 13, 2009
- Joshua Brown (advisor: Dr. Carol Stepien) successfully defended his Ph.D. dissertation,
"Genetic Portraits of Introduced Gobies and Mussels: Population Variation Delineates
Invasion Pathways," on Tuesday, November 24, 2009.
- 150 years since ‘The Origin of Species’: Ohio State University professor visits UT
to discuss the life and work of Charles Darwin, The Independent Collegian, November 19, 2009
- Darwin Day to celebrate 200th birthday of controversial thinker, UT News, November 16, 2009
- LEC graduate students Kris Barneswell and Osvaldo Jhonatan Sepulveda Villet won 1st place awards in the Environmental Sciences
Division of the 2009 Sigma Xi/Scholars' Celebration Student Research Symposium, held
October 24, 2009 at the University of Toledo.
- Lake Erie Center featured in the November issue of UT Matters. View the feature ad (PDF).
- Massive algae blooms threaten Lake Erie, Detroit News, October 10, 2009
- The LEC's rain garden dedication was held with Congresswoman Marcy Kaptur on Monday,
October 5, 2009. View the Channel 13/ABC report and theEcoTrack 11 feature.
- Lake Erie algae blooms linked to underwater sediment shifts, Toledo Blade, September 29, 2009
- Dr. Tom Bridgeman and graduate student Justin Chaffin's research on harmful algal
blooms is featured in the Summer/Fall 2009 issue of Twine Line.Download a PDF of the publication
- Dr. Robert Brundage honored in fund for scholarship, $500 awards to benefit Lake Erie
Center researchers, Toledo Blade, September 28, 2009
- Increase in Lake Erie algae worries scientists; system will help sound warning, Cleveland Plain Dealer, September 23, 2009
- Dr. Carol Stepien featured in "The Siscowette: profiling women in science in the Great
Lakes," September 2009 (view online or download the PDF)
- Matthew Neilson (advisor: Dr. Carol Stepien) successfully defended his dissertation, "Evolution,
systematics, and phylogeography of Ponto-Caspian gobies (Benthophilinae: Gobiidae:
Teleostei)" on Thursday, September 10, 2009.
- Graduate student opportunity - fish ecosystem research, Maumee Bay region; Department
of Environmental Sciences and Lake Erie Center. Click for more details.
- Scientists take technology to the sky to battle Lake Erie algae, EcoTrack 11 article and interview with Dr. Tom Bridgeman, August 24, 2009
- SkySentry Aerostat balloon to keep tabs on algae growth in Lake Erie, Cleveland Plain Dealer, August 20, 2009
- LEC graduate student Audra Croskey (advisor Dr. Jon Bossenbroek) defended her M.Sc.
thesis, "Evaluating the costs of the emerald ash borer invasion in Ohio," on Tuesday,
August 18, 2009.
- LEC graduate student Justin Chaffin defended his M.Sc. thesis, "Physiological Ecology
of Microcystis Blooms in Turbid Waters of Western Lake Erie," on July 21, 2009 (advisor:
Dr. Tom Bridgeman)
- UT expertise to take center stage during monthly broadcast on WJR (Drs. Stepien and
Moorhead are scheduled guests), UT News, June 22, 2009
- Graduate students Colleen Gorey and Osvaldo Jhonatan Sepulveda Villet were given "Student of the Month" awards at the Public Lecture on June 18, 2009,
for their outstanding contributions during the 2009 IAGLR conference.
- Lake Erie Center VHS research featured in Great Lakes Echo (6/18/2009)
- Dr. Gottgens featured on WTOL's Ecotrack 11 report on rain gardens (5/29/2009)
- Media coverage from The International Association for Great Lakes Research (IAGLR) 52nd annual conference, "Bridging Ecosystems and Environmental Heath across our Great Lakes," held May 18 - 22, 2009, at the University of Toledo.
- UT News, "UT to be awash in Great Lakes research" (3/10/2009)
- Dr. Stepien featured on WTOL's Ecotrack 11, "Great Lakes Day." (2/19/2009)