First Floor/Room #122
- Residency Application Process
- Residency program options
- Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS)
- Matching programs
- Match results
- Sponsored Events
- Graduation Awards and Reception
- Match Day Reception
- Medical Student Orientation
- Student Clinicians Ceremony
- White Coat Ceremony
- Medical Honor Societies
- Gold Humanism Honor Society, UT Chapter
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- USMLE Preparation
- Scholarship Opportunities
- Health Science Campus Student Life
- Health Science Campus Student Affairs
- Health Science Campus Diversity
- Student Health and Wellness Center
- Medical Student Council
- Medical Student Honor Code
- Registrar's Office
- Academic Enrichment Center
- Financial Aid
- College of Medicine Policies
- College of Medicine Mission and Vision
Health Science Campus
First Floor/Room #122
Book Cart Rounds Instructions:
- Stop by the circulation desk and ask the librarians for the book cart sign in/sign out sheet. The librarian will identify a book cart for the rounds.
- Bring the cart to the photocopy room (511) where donated books are stored in a file
cabinet. From the top of the library staircase, go right and walk all the way back
towards the large window, the photocopy room is in the corner on your right if you
are facing the large window. Load the cart with:
- as much of the donated book supply as will fit easily on the cart
- the box of bookmarks
- a stack of ~ 40 blank surveys
- the Book Rounds binder
- If anything is missing from the storage cabinet, contact the Book Cart Volunteer Coordinator.
- There is an elevator at the top of the main staircase, near the bathrooms.
- You may choose to go outside with the cart or may prefer to remain inside.
- Indoor route to the hospital:
take the elevator at the main entrance on the 4th floor to the basement. Make a left at the Alumni lounge. Follow the hallway until you see the lockers and make another left (you will walk past security on your left). Go down the ramp and follow the signs for the Pharmacy. There are elevators opposite the Outpatient Pharmacy which will take you to the hospital floors.
- Consult the Book Rounds Log and go to the next unvisited floor on the log sheet list.
- Knock on a patient room door. If the patient is occupied in some way (speaking with a nurse, medical staff, sleeping etc.) you can move on. Many rooms have two beds so use your discretion as to whether it is appropriate to wheel the cart past the patient nearest the door (bed 1) if they are occupied while the patient at the far end of the room (bed 2) is free.
- After you introduce yourself and explain the project briefly, the patient may or may
not be interested in a book.
- If Patient interested: These books are donations and the patient may select one book to keep. Once a patient has selected a book, they also receive a bookmark and a blank survey. The patient can complete the survey at will and return it to their nurse who will deposit in a designated location at the nurse’s station. Make a tally mark in the Book Rounds Log.
- If Patient uninterested: indicate the patient’s room #, Bed # (1 or 2), and their last name in the “Declined” section of the Book Rounds Log so that successive book cart volunteers do not disturb the patient.
- If the supply of blank surveys or bookmarks is running low, please make mention of it in the “Notes” column of the Book Rounds Log.
- After rounds, double check that the log is updated and return to the library.
- Unload the book cart and store remaining books, bookmarks, surveys, and the Book Rounds Log in the cabinet. You may leave the book cart against the wall in or outside of the photocopy room - wherever there is more space.
- Sign back in at the circulation desk and mention where you have left the cart.
We hope you have enjoyed volunteering!
Your suggestions for improving the project are welcomed!