- Mission Statement
- OSL Advisory Committee
- Student Organizations
- Student Organization Forms
- Student Events Calendar
- Student Leadership Ceremony
- Student Life Around Toledo
- Contact Us
- The Victory Center
- SAAAPA - Student Academy of the American Academy of Physician Assistants
- AAPA - American Academy of Physician Assistants
- OAPA - Ohio Association of Physician Assistants
- Swan Creek Preserve - Toledo Area Metroparks
- The University of Toledo's Physician Assistant Program
- The University of Toledo - Health Science Campus
Health Science Campus
Mulford LibraryRoom 122
Fax: 419.383.4233 email@example.com
The J.D. Michaels Physician Assistant Student Society aims to promote the Physician Assistant (PA) profession within the University of Toledo (UT) and throughout the greater Toledo community. Members of this society represent the UT PA program on both the state and national levels. The J.D. Michaels Physician Assistant Student Society is registered as a member of the Student Academy of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (SAAAPA) and is eligible to participate in the American Academy of Physician Assistants (AAPA) National Medical Challenge Bowl, the AAPA Assembly of Representatives (AOR), and the AAPA House of Delegates (HOD) meetings. Members of the J.D. Michaels Physician Assistant Student Society participate in a number of events in the community and on campus, including: National PA Week, The Race for Victory, Hampton on the Trail, and participation in numerous other events.
Upcoming SAAAPA Events:
October 2011 –National PA Week
- SAAAPA members organized multiple events during National PA Week (officially October 6 - 12, 2011).
- October 6 - 12 - SAAAPA is planning a food & clothing drive in the Collier Building to benefit the Cherry Street Mission, which assists local residents and their families.
- October 8, 2011 -5th Annual Race for Victory
We are proud to announce our 5th Annual Race for Victory 5K Run and 3K Walk which will be held on Saturday, October 8th, 2011 on the University of Toledo Health Science Campus. All net proceeds raised by this event will be donated to The Victory Center, a non-profit organization that provides services to cancer patients and their families in Northwest Ohio and Southeast Michigan. Their purpose is “to nourish and comfort the body, mind and spirit during the fight against cancer” through services such as massage therapy, yoga, reflexology, guest lecturers and support groups.
- October 21, 2011- PA/MD Panel
- o SAAAPA along with two medical student organizations will hold a PA-MD Panel discussion to better inform PA and MD students about the typical PA-MD interaction. An emergency PA-C and her supervising physician are nice enough to volunteer for this panel.
Recent SAAAPA Events:
January 2011 –Valentine’s Day Cards for Children’s Hospital
- SAAAPA members made Valentine’s Day cards and gave them to pass out to children at the Children’s Hospital
February 2011 –OAPA Student Professional Conference –Columbus, Ohio
- All of the UT PA Students attended the 2011 Ohio Association of Physician Assistants Student Professional Development Conference in Columbus, Ohio. The UT PA Medical Challenge Bowl team competed in the PA Student Medical Challenge Bowl.
April 2011 - Patch Ceremony
- April 1, 2011 -The 1st year SAAAPA members presented the UT PA Student Patch to the 2nd year PA students prior to the beginning of their Clinical Year.
- April 6, 2011 - Please join me in congratulating those from the UT PA Program that were honored at the Office of Student Life Student Involvement Awards Ceremony yesterday evening:
Outstanding Student Leader
Awarded to a student from each college at UTHSC who has made the most significant
contributions to the student body and student life.
Award Winner – Megan Mosier
Outstanding New Student Leader
Awarded to a student from each college in his or her first year at UTHSC who has
made the most significant contributions to the student body and student life.
Award Winner – Anne Simopoulos
Nominee – Danielle Spatholt
Outstanding Interdisciplinary Event
Awarded to the organization having the most valuable event of the academic year based on the event’s
success in reaching out to the UT community.
Nominee – SAAAPA & AMA for the event: MD/PA Panel
Awarded to the organization having the most valuable event of the academic year based
on the event’s educational value and impact on participants.
Nominee – SAAAPA for the event: Race for Victory
Awarded to the student organization that has made the most significant
contributions to the student body and student life.
Nominee – SAAAPA
- April 16, 2011 –Interdisciplinary Event
- SAAAPA members participated in a UT Interdisciplinary event to promote teamwork in healthcare.
- April 25 & 28 –SAAAPA Bake Sales
- SAAAPA members raised money by selling baked goods in the UT Health Science Campus Skyview Cafe
- May 22, 2011 –SAAAPA at Mudhens Game
- SAAAPA members attended the Toledo MudHens' Baseball game on Sunday, May 22, 2011. The MudHens are the Triple-A affiliate of the Detroit Tigers.
- May 30 –June 4, 2011 AAPA Annual Conference -Las Vegas
- SAAAPA representative participated in the AAPA House of Representatives and House of Delegates meetings at the 2011 AAPA Annual Conference.
- June 3, 11, & 17, 2011 -SAAAPA at Ronald McDonald House
- SAAAPA members made dinner for residents at the Ronald McDonald House
August 2011 –SAAAPA Ice Cream Social
- August 21, 2011 -SAAAPA held an Ice Cream Social at Swan Creek Metropark for incoming PA students to meet with the current 2nd year students. The event was a great success with virtually all 1st and 2nd year students attending.
- The 3rd Annual PA vs. PT Student Softball Game was held on Friday, September 16, 2011. Although the PA students gave a valiant effort, they fell short in their attempt to defeat the PT students. Congratulations to the PT students.
- September 25, 2011 – 4th Annual Donald Campbell Memorial Golf Open. SAAAPA members volunteered and participated in this fundraising event along with local practicing PAs and physicians.
2011 SAAAPA Officers
AOR (Assembly of Representatives)
Andrew St. Pierre
Director of External Affairs
View the SAAAPA Archives:
Natalie Walkup, MPAS-PAC
Physician Assistant Studies