Our Mission at The Writing Center
The Writing Center at the University of Toledo supports writers across the disciplines, including all students, staff, faculty, and alumni. During a session, peer tutors, teaching assistants, and professional tutors engage in conversation with writers, focusing on ideas, organization, development, argument, synthesis, and writers’ concerns. In serving as an audience, writing center staff fosters active learning, skill set growth, and writing confidence while simultaneously providing support during any stage of the writing process: idea generation, brainstorming, outlining, drafting, or revision. Sessions seek to empower writers and decrease writing anxiety as well as equip writers with skills that nurture effective written communication, both within and beyond the Writing Center.
- We believe that writing is a recursive activity involving several steps that include generating ideas, organizing thoughts, developing a first draft, rewriting, and editing.
- We believe in non-directive tutorial styles that provide the opportunity for writers to maintain ownership of their own papers; writing tutors serve as an audience rather than editors or proofreaders.
- We believe in the importance of being responsive to the individual needs of a student at whatever cognitive level s/he may be as a writer.
- We believe that writers develop writing skills best when they are in a supportive environment surrounded by other writers who seek to encourage clear expression of ideas.
- We believe that writers should learn to use the vocabulary, organization, and format specific to the academic discipline in which they are writing.
We Embrace...Creativity. Originality. Mentoring. Mindfulness. Uniqueness.
No Judgment. Imagination.