Writing Center Services
The Writing Center provides assistance to members of the University of Toledo community.
Details of how this assistance is provided appear below.
To schedule an appointment, please visit www.mywco.com/utwritingcenter.
We assist with the following types of "writing" projects:
- Assigned papers such as essays and research papers
- Proposals for senior thesis, capstone projects, master's thesis, or dissertations
- Group projects and proposals
- Short stories, poetry, and other types of creative writing
- Letters of application and job resumes, scholarships, and personal statements
- Reviews and chapter drafts for dissertations or sustained writing projects
- Submissions for conferences or publication
Writing Center tutors help by:
- discussing an assignment with the writer in order to encourage understanding and clarification of their writing task
- determining where the piece of writing can use improvement and how the writer can revise their work effectively
- discussing ideas, notes, and outlines to help the writer develop a plan for writing that is focused on a particular audience
- reading aloud drafts and finished projects with the writer
- asking questions that guide a writer to consider changes that will help them to communicate effectively
- offering explanation of the writing process and assisting students at all stages of that process
What can a writer do to make a visit to the Writing Center most productive?
- Bring a copy of the assignment
- Bring a draft of the paper/writing assignment
- Share with the tutor your goals for your session: grammar, argumentation, citation, support, etc.
- Come early in the process of writing so we can provide help before a writer becomes lost, stuck, or overwhelmed; longer and more complex assignments take more time to read and review so the writer should come to the Center at least a week in advance
What happens when I come to the Writing Center?
- When arriving for a tutoring session you will be asked to check-in at the front desk
- You will have a seat in the Writing Center and your tutor will be with you shortly