Writing Center Services
The Writing Center provides support to writers within the University of Toledo community.
We assist with the following types of "writing" projects:
- Assigned papers such as essays and research papers
- Proposals for senior thesis, capstone projects, master's thesis, or dissertations
- Group projects and proposals
- Short stories, poetry, and other types of creative writing
- Letters of application and job resumes, scholarships, and personal statements
- Reviews and chapter drafts for dissertations or sustained writing projects
- Submissions for conferences or publication
Writing Center tutors help by:
- discussing an assignment with the writer in order to encourage understanding and clarification of the writing task
- determining where writing can use improvement and how the writer can revise their work effectively
- generating ideas, notes, and outlines with the writer and helping the writer develop a plan for his/her project which is focused on a particular audience
- engaging a conversation with writers about their ideas and desires for their project
- asking questions that guide a writer to consider changes that will help them to communicate effectively
- offering explanation of the writing process and assisting students at all stages of that process
What can a writer do to make a visit to the Writing Center most productive?
- Bring a copy of the assignment
- Bring a draft of the paper/writing assignment
- Share with the tutor your goals for your session: grammar, argumentation, citation, support, etc.
- Come early in the process of writing so we can provide help before a writer becomes lost, stuck, or overwhelmed; longer and more complex assignments take more time to read and review so the writer should come to the Center at least a week in advance
What happens when I come to the Writing Center?
- When arriving for a tutoring session you will be asked to check-in at the front desk
- You will have a seat in the Writing Center and your tutor will be with you shortly