Frequently Asked Questions for Adults and Non-Traditional Students

FAQs for Adult and Non-Traditional Students:

I have not been a student for a long time. How do I know I will be successful?
I have my GED. Am I eligible for acceptance to college? 
Do I have to take an ACT or SAT to be accepted to UT?
Do I have to be a full-time student to finish my degree or receive financial aid?
What kind of financial aid is available to me as an adult learner?
How much does it cost to file a FAFSA?
What is UT's school code for the FAFSA?
What kind of scholarships can I get?
I went to UT before. Do I need to apply again?
I don't have any previous college. Do I need to take the ACT or SAT?
Will my credits transfer?
My previous credit was earned on the quarter system. UT is on semesters. How does that work?
Does the College of Adult and Lifelong Learning degree programs accept military credits and CLEP?
What is CLEP? Am I eligible?
Are there study guides for CLEP?
I am unable to come to campus. How do I meet with an academic adviser?
Are classes available on evenings, weekends, and online?
Is it possible to take my entire degree program online at UT?
What are online classes like? Are they harder or easier?
What kind of computer hardward, software and skills do I need to be an Online Learner?
How do I register for classes?
Do I have to attend an orientation as an adult student?
Do I have to take placement tests?
How do I obtain a parking pass?
Ok, I'm registered. How do I get my books?    
Is there child care on campus?
I don't know my way around campus. How do I find my classes and buildings?    

  Q:  I have not been a student for a long time.  How do I know I will be successful?

 A:  First of all, you need to begin by believing in yourself.  Many adults return to school with a different mindset and attitude than that of previous attempts at college.

You'll also want to connect with your UT success coach. Your success coach serves at your central point of contact to assist you with any questions, problems, issues or concerns you have related to your UT experience. Your success coach can also help you identify academic, personal, and career goals and develop action plans to accomplish your goals. Who you know on campus influences what you know, so be sure tomeet with your success coach because he/she is very knowledgeable about campus resources that will help you succeed.

You can also utilize the many free support services available to UT students, such as free tutoring through the Learning Enhancement Center.  They can even help with time management and study skills!  There are a variety of support services available through The UT Learning Collaborative, including an Office of Student Advocacy and Support, to help clarify policies and seek issue resolution, and the Student Disability Services, to assist students with documented disabilities.  UT also offers support for personal struggles through our free, confidential Counseling Center.

Q:  I have my GED.  Am I eligible for acceptance to college?

 A:  Yes.  Students with no previous college credits should either their high school or GED transcripts for admission to UT.

Q:  Do I have to take an ACT or SAT to be accepted to UT?

 A:  Adult students do not need to submit ACT or SAT test scores to be admitted, however, all first-time freshman with no previous college credits, including adults, need to have a test score to be considered for Admissions scholarships.  GED candidates are not eligible for Admission scholarships but may be eligible for other awards in their program of study.   

Q:  Do I have to be a full-time student to finish my degree or receive financial aid?

A:  Bachelor’s degrees do not have time limitations for completion like graduate and professional programs do, though some fields have time limits on how long class skills will be considered (For example, science courses for a Nursing major must be retaken if more than seven years have passed since the class was initially completed.)  Your financial aid award is also based onthe number of credit hours you enroll in during a semester, so it is not necessary for you to go full-time in order to be a student at UT!  Most financial aid programs require at least half-time enrollment, which would equal 6 semester hours at UT, or about 2 classes per semester. 

Q:   What kind of financial aid is available to me as an adult learner? 

A:  You should fill out your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), even if you have done so for a child of your own in school.  Federal and state grants and loans are determined through the FAFSA, as are some need-based scholarships.  Just follow the steps on our Financial Aid Page.  

Q:  How much does it cost to file a FAFSA? 

A:  It is FREE!  If a site attempts to charge you for filing the FAFSA, you are not on the government webpage!  You can safely access the correct webpage through our Financial Aid Page.  

Q:  What is UT’s school code for the FAFSA? 

A: 03131 

Q:  What kinds of scholarships can I receive? 

A:  You are considered for Admissions scholarships with your application to UT.  See the Scholarship and Awards Guide for Transfer Students and for First Time Freshmen.  You can also check for scholarships in the College that houses your degree program at UT. 

College scholarships often have a deadline in April and are awarded in the following fall semester. 

Q:  I went to UT before.  Do I need to apply again? 

A:  If you have not gone anywhere else since you left UT, you can be readmitted through an academic advising appointment and do not need to reapply.  If you have gone elsewhere for additional studies and are returning, you need to apply as a transfer student and submit new official transcripts for all institutions (except UT).

Q:  I don’t have any previous college credits.  Do I need to take the ACT or SAT? 

A:  UT will need your high school or GED transcripts, but does not require ACT or SAT test scores from adult students.  However, you would need a test score to be considered for freshman scholarships.  Contact our Testing Center for ACT information.  

Q:  Will my credits transfer? 

A:  College credit from a regionally accredited institution, such as most state community colleges, are transferable to UT.  The University of Toledo is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Universities. UT accepts transfer credit from other regionally accredited institutions nationwide and other institutions accept our transfer credits.  To maintain our regional accreditation, we cannot accept credit from schools that don’t meet the same accreditation (ex. ITT Tech).  If you are not sure if your previous school is accredited, email us and we’ll check for you!

How your credits apply to your program depends on the degree program you choose here at UT.  The College of Adult and Lifelong Learning degree programs are very transfer-friendly, allowing up to 84 semester hours of associate degree course work to count toward your degree completion (except remedial, repeated or duplicated coursework).  Your official transfer credit evaluation is done with your application to UT.  UT also has a listing of course equivalencies for classes from other colleges and universities.  Students can also create their own transfer guides through Transferology

Q:  My previous credit was earned on the quarter system.  UT is on semesters. How does that work? 

A:  Quarter hours are subject to a 2/3 conversion to meet semester hour requirements.  It doesn’t mean you are losing credit hours!  It takes a minimum 186 hours on the quarter system to achieve a bachelor’s degree.  The minimum on the semester system is 124.  Multiply your number of quarter hours by 2, then divide by 3, and that’s roughly your number of semester hours (less any remedial, duplicated or repeated classes).

Q:  Does the College of Adult and Lifelong Learning degree programs accept military credits and CLEP? 

A:  Military credit as transcripted by ACE is accepted and may be applied toward your degree, depending on your chosen degree program. Advanced Placement, CLEP and DANTES credit is also accepted (Official score report must be submitted).

Q:  What is CLEP?  Am I eligible? 

A:  CLEP stands for College Level Examination Program.  Credit can be earned in a variety of core curriculum areas through testing.  Many students with little or no previous college creditsuse this option to accelerate the core curriculum requirements and save time and money.  Once accepted to UT, your academic adviser can help you determine which CLEP tests you may be eligible to take.  And, for on-campus students, CLEP tests are available at our Scott Park Testing Center!

  Q:  Are there study guides for CLEP? 

A:  Yes!  You can make a study plan and purchase study guides for each of the tests you determine you are eligible to take, or you can check them out at the UT library or a public library near you. 

Q:  I am unable to come to campus.  How do I meet with an academic adviser? 

A:  University College has many online learners.  We offer academic advising appointments by phone for those who cannot come to campus. 

Q:  Are classes available on evenings, weekends, and online? 

A:  You can find a complete schedule of classes for various semesters on the registrar’s page, as well as schedules of classes broken into evening and online categories. 

Q:  Is it possible to take my entire degree program online at UT? 

A:  Yes! University College offers two bachelor’s programs that can be done completely online:  Liberal Studies (LS), Professional Studies and Individualized Program (IDVP)*, depending on your program focus.  We also offer an associate's program in General Studies. In order for a student to complete their degree online, he or she would need to choose distance learning offerings from the schedule of classes.  You can also visit UT’s Online Learning website to learn more about the 44 UT certificate and degree programs that are offered online. 

*Not all UT coursework is available online.  You should consult with an academic adviser to determine whether your focus of study would be available in an online format for IDVP. 

Q:  What are online classes like?  Are they harder or easier? 

A:  The distance learning environment is a virtual classroom that every professor uses differently, just like equipment in a physical classroom.  There are typically links to your syllabus, assignments, and lecture notes, as well as discussion boards and places to post assignments, and some even set up chat rooms for real-time talk!  Most students enjoy the convenience of online classes and their ability to fit into everyday life, but do warn that being an online learner takes discipline.  You need to log-on to your class regularly, participate in discussions, do much reading on your own, and complete assignments by posted due dates.  And remember, if you are ever confused or struggling with assignments, you need to communicate with your professor, whether by email or phone! 

Q:  What kind of computer hardware, software and skills do I need to be an Online Learner? 

A:  To take an online learning course, a reliable internet service provider is needed. DSL or broadband is highly recommended.

Students are responsible for purchasing, installing and maintaining all computer hardware and software required for their participation in online courses. It is recommended that all students use anti-virus software and anti-spyware utilities. Internet security suites and pop-up blockers are not recommended when taking online courses as they frequently interfere with course tools.

Click here to view the minimum, recommended computer specifications to take online courses. Some courses may require additional resources. Contact the course instructor to find out more.

Students should be familiar with word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software and should be experienced at using a web browser and email. Additional skills may be necessary for individual courses. 

Q:  How do I register for classes? 

A:  The myUT portal allows students to register online with a UTAD account, which will be set up upon your admission to UT.  You will register for your first semester, though, with an academic adviser during your new student orientation, or in a phone appointment if you are an online ONLY student. 

Q:  Do I have to attend an orientation as an adult student? 

A:  Yes, all new students must attend one orientation day.  Transfer students have the option of attending the one-day orientation or completing their orientation online. UT hosts Rocket Launch and Rocket Transition for incoming students on multiple dates before each semester begins. You will learn about resources at UT and meet with an academic adviser to register for classes.  Online Learners attend a virtual orientation.  This option is only available to those students that will be 100% online, with no on-campus classes in their degree program or students who are transferring to UT from another college/university. 

Q:  Do I have to take placement tests? 

A:  All incoming students with no previous college must take placement tests to be sure we put you in the right classes for success.  Transfer students are assessed based on previous college coursework.  You will be notified what tests you need to take before your orientation date and tests are offered on campus in the Testing Center at the Memorial Field House.  If you are an online student and/or cannot come to campus, you can arrange for proctored tests in your area with the help of our Online Learning Office.

Q:  How do I obtain a parking pass? 

A:  You can elect for parking when you register for classes.  And, parking is charged by the semester, not the year, so you can elect not to pay for parking as a distance learner one semester but get a pass if you have an on campus class another semester. 

Q:  OK, I’m registered.  How do I get my books? 

A:  You can check the online site for the UT Bookstore to see if your professor has ordered books for your class.  You can purchase or reserve textbooks online, then pick them up in the bookstore or have them shipped directly to your door.  Some students also purchase used texts through online commercial retailers, but please be careful to order the correct edition numbers if you go to an outside source for books. 

Q:  Is there child care on campus? 

A:   Not at this time.  

Q:  I don’t know my way around campus.  How do I find my classes and buildings? 

A:  Keep a map of campus with you as you get to know your way around, and when in doubt, don’t be afraid to ask someone for directions! Our faculty, staff, and even students are always ready to help.  UT also provides parking and transportation services around campus on the Blue and Gold Loops, shuttles to the Art Museum and to our Scott Park and Health Science campuses, as well as some Call-a-Ride services.

Back to top

Last Updated: 8/7/18