It is the vision of The University of Toledo Center for Excellence in Autism (CFEA) to build a continuum of services and research opportunities that satisfy the dynamic needs of individuals with an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) across the lifespan. As a provider for both the Ohio Department of Mental Health and the Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities, the mission of the CFEA is to improve the lives of individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders and their families. Specifically, the major goals of the CFEA are to provide;
- Multi-disciplinary education and training of current and future leaders in the field of ASD.
- Collaborate with other service providers, advocacy organizations and institutions at the regional, state and national levels wherever possible to coordinate care.
- Maintain a person-centered focus for service delivery that includes consideration of the needs of families.
- Conduct, support, and coordinate research that facilitates relevant advancements in medical treatment and strengthens evidenced-based interventions.
- Undertake advocacy to effect legislation, regulation, and policy on behalf of the Autism community.
- Support initiatives for early detection and referrals by community-based primary care providers;
- Provide family-centered services.