- About the College
- Academic Programs
- Centers, Projects, & Grants
- Student Services
- Research Consultation Center
- UTeach Job Fair
- Give to your College
Licensure AND Master's Program (LAMP)
Multi-Age Foreign Language Education
The Licensure and Master’s Program (LAMP) in Multi-Age Foreign Language Education
is for people who have a bachelor degree in a major of French, German or Spanish and
want to become a licensed teacher in the State of Ohio. The program provides coursework
that will lead toward the initial PreK-12 four year residence teacher license in a
foreign language (French, German or Spanish) and, at the same time, meet the requirements
for a Master’s Degree in Education.
The LAMP Foreign Language Education Program consists of a variety of courses that can typically be completed in one academic year, including summer. It includes field experiences, as well as a 75 day full-time student teaching experience in the last semester of the Program. The courses you have taken as an undergraduate and your employment status as a full-time or part-time will determine how long it will take you to complete the program. The State of Ohio requires successful completion of the Praxis II PLT to be eligible for licensure upon completion. This test should be taken prior to student teaching to allow time for processing. Students also need to take the ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) and Writing Proficiency Test (WPT) and receive a rating at least at Intermediate High prior to student teaching.
Upon completion of the LAMP program, students may file an application to the Ohio Department of Education for initial licensure and become licensed teachers in the State of Ohio. Currently, the State of Ohio has reciprocal agreements with approximately 40 other states which enable individuals with an Ohio Teaching License to teach in those states.
After completing the LAMP program, students may take additional 6 hours of required courses to earn a Master of Education.
In order to be eligible for the LAMP Multi-Age Foreign Language Education program, you must meet the following criteria:
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree with Major or equivalent hours in coursework for French, German or Spanish
- Have a GPA of at least 2.7 (cumulative of all undergraduate work)
- Have a GPA of 2.7 GPA in the major area of coursework.
- Submit application for coursework review.
- Meet with LAMP advisor.
- Meet with graduate advisor in Foreign Language Department to determine the plan of study and to review content coursework.
- Apply to the College of Graduate Studies once your content coursework has been completed and approved.