College of Law

Financial Aid

For many law students, it's necessary to apply for financial aid to help finance their legal education. Federal student aid includes federal loans and work-study. Develop your plan early to determine the best fit.


You are eligible for federal loans up to your full cost-of-attendance budget. Your combined scholarships and loans cannot exceed your cost-of-attendance budget.


Many law students consider the following student loans. While loans may help fill a financial gap, it is important to only borrow what you need.


Federal Work-Study will help you pay for expenses while you gain valuable work experience. You'll receive work-study funds as you earn them in the form of biweekly paychecks. Work-Study is only available to eligible J.D. students after completion of two semesters. Accepting a work-study award may reduce your federal student loan eligibility. To learn more, visit myUT (login required) > Law > My Financial Aid > Federal Work-Study Overview.

Applying for Aid

To apply for financial aid, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The federal site also offers step-by-step guidance on filling out your FAFSA.

UToledo's federal school code is 003131. Consider using the Internal Revenue Service Data Retrieval Tool (IRS DRT) to transfer your tax information automatically. Note that if you file taxes after FAFSA submission, you are required to update your FAFSA application.

Submit FAFSA

Financial Aid FAQ

Toledo Law Admissions

Last Updated: 6/27/22