Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) Program
Students are partnered with scientists, engineers, graduate students, and agency professionals to conduct cutting-edge research on important land-lake environmental challenges.
9 Weeks ⋅ $5000 Stipend & Food Allowance
Paid Dorm ⋅ Travel Allowance ⋅ May 30-July 28
Applications are closed.
All positions have been filled for summer 2017.
REU in the News!
LEC's REU students highlighted in news article by Tom Henry,
The Blade, July 5, 2016.
LEC's REU students highlighted in news article by Christine Long,
UT News, July 6, 2016.
WTOL 11 News reports on UT's REU students summer research at LEC.
- Fun, Exciting, Meaningful Field & Lab Research
- Build the skills for your dream career
- Develop life-long connections with top scientists, faculty, engineers, grad students & agencies
- Fields: Environmental Sciences, Biology, Engineering,
Chemistry, Geography, GIS
- Study and help combat environmental problems:
Harmful Algal Blooms Climate Change
Invasive Species Water Quality
- Use & Apply Top Technology: Sensor networks, water quality, environmental DNA, next-gen sequencing, Geographic Information Systems, ROVs, drones, etc.
- Field trips: canoeing, lake sampling, wetlands
- Opportunities to earn research credits are available
REU students will be housed in University of Toledo dormitories
and provided a $5000 stipend to cover living expenses and food.
Rising college Juniors and Seniors are preferred,
Sophomores may be considered.
Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent legal residents.
The Lake Erie Center is an interdisciplinary research, education and outreach facility dedicated to solving environmental problems in the Great Lakes.