Department of Internal Audit and Compliance

I-9/Employee Eligibility Verification Process


University of Toledo Human Resources

How to Complete a Form I-9: Prepared for the University of Toledo Departments

  • Each new employee hired after November 6, 1986, is required to complete a Form I-9 as a condition of employment.
  • The Form I-9 must be completed no later than the third day of employment.
  • It is the hiring department’s responsibility to ensure that the form is completed correctly, unless the new employee is a Non-Resident Alien (NRA).
    • Employees who are NRAs should contact Human Resources to schedule an appointment for assistance in completing employment forms.
  • The University of Toledo can be fined:
    • Penalties of not less than $100 and not more than $1,000 for each employee for whom the Form I-9 was not completed correctly.
    • These penalties may be charged back to University of Toledo departments.

Step 1: Obtain form

  • Access a Form I-9 with instructions from the Human Resources website: 
  • The blank Form I-9 may be reproduced provided the List of Acceptable Documents is copied on the back of the form and the instructions are made available to the employee.

Step 2: Review documents: UT department representatives CANNOT specify which document(s) they need from an employee to verify identity and employment eligibility.

  • UT department representative presents the List of Acceptable Documents (page 4 of Form I-9 w/instructions) to the new employee and asks them to choose the documents that will confirm their identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
  • Employee chooses one document from List A -or- two documents, one from List B and one from List C.
  • The documents must be original documents. – NO COPIES
  • If a document does not appear to be genuine, contact Human Resources for assistance: (419) 530-4747.

Step 3: Complete the Form I-9: The Form I-9 must be completed with black or blue ink. – NO PENCIL

  • Section 1: This section is completed and signed by the new employee.
    • If the employee checks the box “An Alien authorized to work until ____” they need to make an appointment to see the Non-Resident Alien coordinator in Human Resources (530-4747)
  • Certification of Person Preparing the Document and/or Translator: This section must be completed if an employee is unable to complete Section 1 on his/her own and someone completes it for them. The employee must still sign the form in Section 1.
  • Section 2: This section is completed by the UT department representative who viewed the employee’s original documentation establishing identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
  • Certification: UT department representative who completed Section 2 should complete and sign this section. Do not forget to include the:
    • Employee’s hire date
    • Hiring department’s complete address
  • Section 3: This section should only be completed and signed by officials in Human Resources.

Click here to view or print a sample Form I-9 completed by Rocky Rocket, a fictitious new employee in Human Resources hired on May 3, 2008.

Step 4: Forward the employee’s original Form I-9 along with photocopies of document(s) and additional employment forms ( to Human Resources, Scott Park Campus, Academic Services, Suite 1000, MS 405

The data from the Personal Information Form can be entered into Banner by Human Resources representatives with access to Banner once the wage rate is approved. The Personal Information Form should be shredded after data entry is completed.

Consider making the following change to the New Hire Forms webpage (

Suggest replacing the existing section 9 with …

9.       Form I-9 -- The Form I-9 confirms identity and documents eligibility to work in the United States, as governed by the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship, and Immigration Services.  After an employee accepts an offer for employment, the employee must complete section one of the Form I-9 no later than the first day of work for pay.  Section two will need to be completed by the employer no later than the third business day the employee starts work for pay.  Information provided on Form I-9 is then confirmed through E-Verify.

Talent Development Webpage

*** Suggest adding a link to I-9 training from this page.

This link would be to the Law-Room videos that includes the “Form I-9 for Managers” video.  This video includes general I-9 FAQs, as well as policies and procedures specific to UT. ***

Responsibilities of Work-Study Student Employee

*** Suggest that this be a new page on the Career Services website, or that the key components of this document are included on existing web-pages (especially as they pertain to the I-9 process) ***

Complete the following personnel papers before you begin work

  • Student Job Assignment through Financial Aid
  • IRS tax forms W-4 and I-9
  • Expected Behavior of Employees
  • Payroll Direct Deposit Authorization (requires a voided check and/or a savings deposit slip)

You will need to bring current identification documents such as your driver's license, social security card, birth certificate, passport, etc.

You may have your earnings statement e-mailed to you or view it on the web and print it by logging into your MyUT account

Become familiar with MyUT

IMPORTANT: W-2s will be mailed to the home address listed on MyUT. To verify your home address, please do the following:

  1. Log into MyUT with your UTAD ID and password
  2. From the main menu, click the tab entitled "Employee"
  3. From the "Employee" menu, click the link entitled "Update Addresses & Phones" in the “Personal/Office Information” section (in the left column).
  4. Make any necessary changes
  5. If your changes are correct, click Save button

If you haven't signed and returned the student job assignment or have incomplete personnel paperwork at Human Resources, your payroll check will be delayed.

Always read your Earnings History to be aware of the status of your pay check! Pay dates are alternating Fridays of each month. Work-Study amounts earned are not applied to your balance at student accounts.

Work with your supervisor

Talk to your supervisor to arrange your work schedule based on the number of hours you will be allowed to work (depending on the amount of your Work-Study Award) and your class schedule. The example below is intended to illustrate the weekly schedule of hours for a student worker. Any deviation from this, such as an increase in the hourly rate or increase of hours worked per week, should to be taken into consideration.


Based on average award of $1,500 per semester:

Amount Awarded ($1,500) ÷ Weeks in Semester (16) ÷ Rate of Pay ($7.25) = # of Hours per Week (12.75)

Students may not work more than a combined total of 20 hours per week (Sunday-Saturday) or 1,500 hours in a fiscal year in all jobs, hourly or Work-Study. Work-Study students must be registered at least half-time* for the semester. If you are registered and awarded FWS, you may begin work on the first day of classes and must end work on the last day of finals or the day you drop below half-time*, whichever occurs first.  *** DOUBLE-CHECK TO ENSURE ASSUMPTIONS IN THIS PARAGRAPH ARE CORRECT ***

*Half-time is 6 hours for undergraduates and law students. Notify your supervisor in advance when you are unable to work. *** DOUBLE-CHECK FACTS ***

Use your time sheet

Please record hours on the electronic time sheet. Your supervisor will notify you as to how to turn in your time sheet.  Late time sheets will cause a significant delay in your paycheck.

Be sure that all information is correctly filled in on the front of the time sheet. Be sure to sign in and out for unpaid breaks and lunches. Your time should be rounded to the nearest quarter hour: 25, .50, .75, or whole number. Don't forget to submit your time sheet and to make sure your supervisor approves it also; otherwise your pay check will be delayed. The system will keep a copy of your time sheet in case you have questions about it later.


  • Student A worked 3 hrs. 20 min., and therefore reported 3.25
  • Student B worked 2 hrs. 55 min, and therefore reported 3.0

Track your work-study award

Work with your supervisor to track the amount of Work-Study award that has been used. Remember that an increase in rate of pay without reducing the number of hours worked per week or an increase in hours worked per week will result in loss of your job before the semester ends.


Assuming 20 hours/week x $6.25/hr:

  • First Pay Period
    Student's Award ($1,500) - Student's Gross Pay ($125.00) = Remaining Award ($1,375.00)
  • Second Pay Period
    Remaining Award ($1,375) - Student's Gross Pay ($62.50) = Remaining Award ($1,312.50)

Other things to keep in mind

  • Cooperate with your supervisor in a responsible manner.
  • Remain in a particular job for the duration of the assigned period (simply locating another job on campus is not reason enough for a transfer). Give adequate notice to your supervisor if you plan to terminate your job for any reason.
  • If a job-related problem arises, tell your supervisors – communication often alleviates difficulties.
  • Respect the confidentiality of all information to which you have access in your work assignment.
  • Re-apply each year (after January 1st or after federal income taxes have been filed) for the Federal Work-Study Program and financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Be sure to indicate your interest in Work-Study. You are responsible for paying taxes on money earned through Work-Study; however, it is not counted as a resource on your FAFSA the following year.  Note that funding is limited for Federal Work Study, and that it is granted on a “first come, first served” basis.

Do You Still Have Questions?

Please contact the Financial Aid Office (Rocket Hall 1200) at 419-530-8700.

Hiring Employees

*** I could not locate whether or not UT has a page like this on its HR website.  I found a “Hiring Best Practices” web-page in the Manager’s Toolkit, but could not locate any guidance along these lines. ***


See Position Information Questionnaire for instructions on how to create a position description for Salaried or Hourly positions.

Although there are exceptional circumstances under which a waiver to post a permanent position may be permitted, the University of Toledo is an institution committed to taking affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants and, therefore, requires posting and advertising of vacant faculty and staff positions.


All recruitment, selection and hiring of faculty is managed in the Cornerstone system.  Hiring Request approval from the provost is required before a position posting can be advertised. Faculty positions must be advertised for a minimum of 30 days, except for visiting or clinical faculty, instructor and lecturer positions which require a minimum two week posting period. Applicants apply through the UT Employment Opportunities website.


Hiring for a staff position, whether classified or non-classified, is managed in CornerstoneHiring Request approval from a Vice President or an Appointing Authority is required before a position posting can be advertised. In most cases, postings are active for a minimum of two weeks. Applicants apply through the UT Employment Opportunities website.

Internal Positions

Internal postings, promotions, transfers and demotions for non-classified and classified positions are processed in Cornerstone (with the exception of academic promotions for tenure). Hiring Request approval from the provost is required. For assistance with internal postings, contact your HR Consultant.  For assistance with promotions, transfers and demotions, contact your HR Consultant for guidance.

Temporary Appointments or Hourly Positions

Advertising is not required for temporary appointments of one year or less, but Hiring Request approval is required.   Departments can hire an extra help hourly employee on a temporary, as-needed basis to meet staffing needs.  Hiring Request approval is not required for extra help hourly positions.  Contact your HR Consultant for assistance with temporary appointments or hourly positions. 

Nonresident Aliens

New employee paperwork for all foreign nationals (nonresident aliens) will be handled in Human Resources.  This includes setting up the SUNE, completing the I-9, personal information form, the University’s Acknowledgement of Policies, direct deposit and E-Verify.  Contact your HR Consultant for an appointment.

Background Checks

Each position (including faculty) that requires pre-employment screening will indicate that a background check is required in the posting. The background check process is managed via the Authorization to Release Information form.  Background Checks and Substance Abuse Testing policy can be found at the Human Resources Policy webpage.

Eligibility For Employment

*** I believe that UT should have a web-page that contains this general content, which appears to be “best practice” in the I-9 area.  Please let me know how well this aligns (or does not align) with UT’s Employment eligibility verification policy (3364-25-116) ***

(Immigration Reform and Control Act)

Employers are required by federal law to verify that every person hired after November 6, 1986, is authorized to work in the United States, using the Employment Eligibility Verification Form (Form I-9). If you are a new employee, you will be required to present documents that identify you and that verify your eligibility to work in this country and to complete an I-9 form.

The employee must be able to attest on the I-9 form that he/she is either a citizen of the United States, a noncitizen national of the United States, a lawful permanent resident, or an alien authorized to work.

Although the federal government may, from time to time, change the list of acceptable I-9 documents, the following are currently acceptable: Documents that can be used to prove your identity and your employment eligibility are: A United States passport, a certificate of United States citizenship, a certificate of naturalization, an unexpired foreign passport with attached employment authorization, an alien registration receipt card with photograph, an unexpired temporary resident card, an unexpired employment authorization card, an unexpired reentry permit, an unexpired refugee travel document, or an unexpired employment authorization document issued by the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (BCIS) which contains a photograph.

Substitute documents that can be used to prove your identity only are: A state-issued driver's license or ID card with a photograph or information that includes your name, address, sex, date of birth, height and color of eyes; an ID card issued by a federal, state or local government agency or entity with a photograph or information that includes your name, address, date of birth, sex, height and eye color; a school ID card with a photograph; a voter's registration card; a U.S. military card or draft record; a military dependent's ID card; a U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card; a Native American tribal document; a driver's license issued by a Canadian government authority; or, if you are under eighteen and unable to present one of the preceding documents: A school record or report card; a clinic, doctor or hospital record; or a daycare or nursery school record.

Substitute documents that can be used to prove your employment eligibility only are: A Social Security card issued by the Social Security Administration; a Certificate of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State; an original or certified copy of a birth certificate issued by a state, county, municipal authority or outlying possession of the United States bearing an official seal; a Native American tribal document; a U.S. Citizen ID card; an ID card for use of Resident Citizen in the United States; or an unexpired employment authorization document issued by the BCIS.

Your department can help you complete the I-9 and other forms, including the university's Expected Behavior of Employees form and the W-4 tax-withholding form, which should be completed and signed on or before your first day of employment.*  These forms should be completed and submitted before you begin work for the university and must be submitted to Human Resources before the university can release a paycheck to you. You may download the I-9 form and others from the Human Resources website, or complete the forms in Human Resources, if that is more convenient. Non-resident aliens must complete their W-4 forms in Human Resources to ensure compliance with Internal Revenue Service regulations. 

The Human Resources Office is located on the Scott Park Campus, in Suite 1000 of the Academic Services building.  The reception desk will accept your completed I-9 form, and will answer any questions you may have about the successful completion of the I-9 form.

* Federal law requires that required documentation be submitted within three business days of the first day of employment, or within 90 days of the date of hire if a receipt is submitted.

Last Updated: 11/4/19