Unity Week 2013
January 15-21- Theme: Make A Way!
- Understanding Islam – Common Dialogue Day, Tuesday, January 15th 5:30 pm – 6:30 pm SU 3020 Mr. Shamsuddin Waheed, Iman of the Toledo Masjid of Al-Islam will be the keynote speaker. He will provide a history of Islam in the greater Toledo/Luca County community and address Islam as the timeless religion.
- Unity Week Kick off Candlelight Vigil March, Wednesday, January 16th at noon Trimble South Lounge SU. The kick off will entail a candlelight vigil, a short speech about the importance of unity amongst all and a procession/march through SU, around Centennial Mall and over to Savage Arena with pre identified student leaders locking arms in unity, hot chocolate provided!
- Color Day, Thursday, January 17th all day. Students, faculty and staff are encouraged to wear blue and gold colors to show that everyone supports unity across campus. It will also be our campus Hug Day. Everyone is encouraged to embrace each other with advance permission to show acceptance and unity.
- Student Org Unity Lock In, Friday, January 18th 6:00 pm – 10:00 pm REC Center – Join us for a lock in to promote acceptance, understanding, respect for one another and bonding at the REC. The evening will begin with a Unity in Leadership Workshop where student org presidents will lead the discussion. Themes of each activity:
Ice breaker activities with a Unity Theme – facilitated by SAAB
Spoken Word Poetry facilitated by D.E.E.P.
Game Room – facilitated by FAA and BASH
Zumba Fitness Dance Room – facilitated by A Psi
Melting Pot – dialogue on infusing ethnic culture with American culture, facilitated by LSU, FAA and ISA.
- Community Service Project Saturday, January 19th - Community Service/Volunteerism, student orgs to commit to volunteering for 2 hours at the Boys and Girls Clubs across the city from noon – 2 pm
- MLK Unity Celebration, Monday, January 21st 9:00 am Savage Arena– Martin Luther King Unity Celebration
Contact Sabina Serratos for more information about any of the events and to sign up
as a volunteer.