Office of Residence Life

Special Housing for Medical Conditions or Disability Related Needs

The residence halls provide a living environment that allows students access to the campus and its facilities. The University requires supporting documentation from an appropriately licensed professional that outlines how a special housing assignment supports your medical or disability needs.  In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), UT recognizes that students with disabilities may have special housing needs, therefore a variety of living options including traditional, suite-style, and private bedrooms are available to these students. Please be aware that a diagnosis of a medical condition in and of itself does not automatically qualify you for a special housing assignment.

It is the responsibility of the student with a special housing request to make his/her housing needs known to the Office of Residence Life at least 8 weeks prior to the beginning of the semester in which on campus housing is requested. Late requests may result in limited availability of housing options. To fill out a Special Housing Accommodation request form, click here.

Architectural Accommodations
In order to meet the disability related needs of an individual student, facilities with existing accessibility features may be further modified as required to meet ADA code.  Architectural accommodations may include, but are not limited to, visual fire alarms, and grab bars.

Housing Assignment Accommodations
Students with a disability or a medical condition who may require special housing accommodation in any campus residence hall must follow the procedures outlined below.  Assigned accommodations may include, but are not limited to, priority assignment to a specific room type, floor, and/or hall. Roommate assignments will be assigned using the regular roommate assignment procedures.

If the accommodation of a private bedroom is requested for any reason including dietary needs, additional space, quiet environment, etc., and is determined by the university to be a reasonable accommodation, the student will be charged the private room rate for the bedroom and residence hall in which he or she resides. In certain circumstances, the university will make an individualized determination as to whether an exception to the room-rate policy may be needed as a modification to this policy.

Residency Exemption Requirements
A student must submit a residency exemption request form available here with supporting documentation to the Office of Residence Life to be considered for an exemption.  Upon receipt of the residency exemption request, Office of Residence Life will forward the request along with the supporting documentation to the Student Disability Services or Student Medical Center for review.

Personal Care Assistance
The University of Toledo does not provide personal care assistants to assist with eating, toileting, or dressing. If a student is planning to reside in university housing and requires personal care services, he or she must provide the Office of Residence Life with documentation from an appropriate agency or service that confirms the necessary assistance will be in place effective on the date of residency.   

When an individual serves as a personal care attendant for a student with a disability, he/she may access the student’s room for which they are providing personal care services for and must adhere to all university policies, procedures, and regulations while on campus.  The student will be charged the private room rate.

Service/Assistance Animals
Individuals requiring the use of a service/assistance animal on campus, including university housing, must meet the criteria for accommodations and/or services outlined by the Student Disability Services.   

Appeal Process
To appeal a housing accommodation decision, the student must submit in writing a statement of appeal and any additional documentation supporting their initial request in writing to the Director of Residence Life. The Director of Residence Life, who will respond in writing within 10 business days, will have the final decision regarding the request. 


Last Updated: 11/21/16