Department of Exploratory Studies

Different Types of Advisors

Students refer to many people on campus as an “advisor.”  There are many different types of advisors across campus, many go by different titles, such as counselors, coordinators, directors, and others. Different types of “advisors” help with different types of questions. Learn about the different advisor types across campus by reviewing the list below to see which one would be best to answer your questions.

Academic Advisors
Help with academic issues such as picking classes, registration, adds/drops/withdrawals, and many other university policy and procedural activities related to making sure you are meeting degree requirements.
An Academic Advisor can be a Professional Advisor or a Faculty Advisor. If you are unsure who this is, call your program or college office to find out.

Professional Academic Advisors
Work with new students who have not declared a major; students who are changing colleges; transfer students; students who are returning to the university after an absence; and students who have been suspended. 

Faculty Academic Advisors
Work with students who have declared a particular major. 
Professors or Instructors advise for coursework in their specific field of expertise and also offer career advise within that field.

Academic Program Coordinators
College of Engineering professional academic advisors who help with academic issues such as selecting classes, registration, adds/drops/withdrawals, and many other university policy and procedural activities related to assisting students in meeting degree requirements. 

Career Services     Location: Student Union 1532, Phone: 419.530.4341
Help with guidance toward career selections and graduate level programs.

Financial Aid     Location: Rocket Solution Central, Rocket Hall 1200, 419.530.8700
Help with understanding Financial Aid/Scholarship requirements; questions about the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA); and questions about your bill or UT account. 

Trio Student Support Services     Location: Carlson Library 0300, Phone: 419.530.3849
The TRIO Student Support Services program at UT is designed to help low-income and first-generation college students as well as students with disabilities successfully complete college and graduate. Services provided by SSS include multicultural social events, individual academic advising, tutoring, and career and social adjustment counseling, as well as helping students to utilize existing university services and complete financial aid forms.

Multicultural Student Services     Location: Student Union 2500, Phone: 419.530.2261
Non-academic guidance for students with a variety of backgrounds.

Study Abroad/Study Away     Location: Snyder Memorial 1000, Phone: 419.530.5268
Help in selecting programs studying abroad or in another part of the USA for a semester.

International Student Services     Location: Snyder Memorial 1000, Phone: 419.530.5268
Provides assistance and services to international students at The University of Toledo, helping students transition to life at UT and in the United States. Serves as a resource regarding orientation, visa requirements, on-campus and off-campus housing, banking, and international student health insurance.

Online Student Services     Location:  Memorial Field House 3000, Phone: 419.530.8835
Serves as a one-stop service center that will assist UT Online students in finding the correct advice, right person, web resources an dothe related information.  Online student Services p
rovides access to technological assistance via chat, screen sharing, and video conferencing for UT Online students and provides face-to-face assistance through video conferencing via UT’s “Wimba” software or through free internet conferencing services (Skype, Yahoo, AIM) for UT Online students.

Last Updated: 6/27/16