Home > University of Toledo History
University of Toledo History Collections
University Archives has been a part of the Ward M. Canaday Center since its founding in 1979. The archives serve as the institutional memory of the university. The records are used by offices researching the development of policies and seeking documentation of decision-making, by students doing class assignments, by members of student organizations who want to know more about the groups they belong to, by alumni remembering their time at the university, and by community members interested in aspects of one of the most important institutions in the region.
The University of Toledo was founded in 1872 by Jesup W. Scott as the Toledo University of Arts and Trades. Scott believed that Toledo was destined to become the Future Great City of the World, and it needed a university to educate the young people who inhabited that city. Unfortunately for Scott, his institution failed, and his city did not live up to his billing. But after closing in 1878, the university reopened in 1884 when Scott’s sons gave the remaining assets to the city of Toledo. From then until 1967, The University of Toledo was a municipal university supported by the taxpayers of Toledo. That year it joined Ohio’s system of publicly-supported universities. In 2006, another major change occurred when the Medical University of Ohio and UT merged together.
All of these events and many more both large and small are documented in University Archives. Today, the Canaday Center houses over 6000 linear feet of historical records of UT.