Provost's Office

Placement Tests (Baccalaureate Colleges)

Students with an ACT English score of 20 or higher are eligible to enroll in Composition I (ENGL 1110). All other students must take the English Composition placement test before registering for College Composition. On the basis of this test, a student will be placed in Writing and Grammar for students with English as a second language (English 1020), Introductory Writing (English 1100), Composition I (English 1110) or Composition II (English 1130-1230). Students with prior college credit in English composition should check with a college adviser.

Placement tests also are given in foreign languages, chemistry and mathematics. A satisfactory score on these tests is a prerequisite for the following courses: foreign language courses; Chemistry 1230; and mathematics courses. ACT math scores in conjunction with the student's high school work may substitute for the placement tests.

Placement tests are scheduled during the summer and fall orientation periods. In addition, except for foreign languages, they are given on a walk-in basis by the University Test Center, Room 1004 Gillham Hall. Foreign language tests are given most weekdays between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. in the Language Laboratory, University Hall, Room 5150-G.

Students with disabilities who need assistance with placement tests are encouraged to contact the Office of Accessibility for support services and/or accommodations.


Skills Assessment (University Community and Technical College)

Please refer to the Placement Tests section in the University Community and Technical College portion of the catalog.


College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

Astudent may earn college credit by taking the College Level Examination Program tests at the University Counseling Center if college credit has not been earned in the area in which credit is sought and the student is not currently enrolled in a course in that area. Students should consult the college in which they are enrolled to determine the specific credit limitations. Students should take the CLEP examinations before entrance or transfer. Although it is recommended that these exams be taken prior to enrolling in classes at The University of Toledo, students may, with adviser's permission, take the exam within the first semester of study. The following explains what scores must be earned on the tests in humanities, mathematics, natural sciences and social sciences to receive credit.

a. Two hours of credit by achieving a scaled score from 500-549 (450 is approximately equal to the 40th percentile).

b. Four hours of credit by achieving a scaled score from 550-599 (500 is approximately equal to the 55th percentile).

c. Six hours of credit by achieving a scaled score of 600 or above (550 is approximately equal to the 70th percentile).

English with Essay

a. Those students who receive 420-469 will receive three hours credit for ENGL 1110 College Composition I.

b. Students who receive 470 and above will receive six hours credit for ENGL 1110 and 1120 College Composition I and II.

Subject Examinations

The awarding of credit for subject examinations is based upon the recommendation of the American Council of Education.




Advanced Placement (AP)

High school students who enroll in college-level courses and who demonstrate superior achievement in the appropriate Advanced Placement examinations offered by the College Entrance Examination Board may submit results of their examinations to the Offices of Admissions and Registrar as part of their application for admission. These examinations are offered in May, and the candidate may, if desired, choose to take them by consulting with the secondary school college counselor or principal. Students who receive grades of 3 or higher (the grading scale on examinations runs from 1 to 5) may expect to be recommended for both placement to a higher level University course and to receive college credit for the work that they have completed in secondary school.

On recommendation of the departments concerned, full college credit may be granted for such work or certain prerequisite courses may be waived to permit the student to enroll in more advanced courses. Entering students who receive enough credit to qualify as sophomores will be ranked as sophomores. Please contact the appropriate department for further information.

Advanced placement credit may be granted by the following subject departments: Art, Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Economics, English, Foreign Languages, History, Mathematics, Music, Physics, Political Science and Psychology. Refer to the specific departments in this catalog for additional details.


Duplicate Credit in CLEP and AP

Within existing college and University limitations, when a student presents CLEP and Advanced Placement scores in the same area, credit will be given for either CLEP or AP, whichever is the higher number of credit hours. In no case will CLEP and AP credits be added or combined. The individual department may decide in which course credit is to be given if alternate course credit is possible.


Prior Learning Assessment

Additional credits may be earned for certain courses in which the student had previous academic instruction or practical experience by having this prior work assessed through Credit by Exam or Portfolio Development. A maximum of 30 credit hours may be obtained by one or a combination of the two methods. Both processes require an initial application fee. A subsequent fee per credit hour granted is due after favorable action is recorded. A student must earn a grade of C or better to have credit recorded. Students must be enrolled during the term in which the credit is to be recorded.


Credit by Exam

Students electing to have work assessed through Credit by Exam can obtain the required petition from the Office of the Registrar. This process requires the approval of the Department Chairperson, the instructor for the course, and the Dean of the college offering the course.


Portfolio Development

Asecond means of obtaining additional credit is via Portfolio Development, which involves the compiling of a portfolio detailing the student's prior learning. To begin this process, students need to contact University College, Division of Individualized and Special Programs, Room 4140 University Hall, (419) 530-2051.


Placement with an International Baccalaureate

Students who have successfully completed the International Baccalaureate (IB) Higher Level work may petition for transfer credit. For each Higher Level examination on which a score of four or better is achieved, 6 to 9 semester hours of credit may be awarded on a course-by-course basis; no credit is given for IB Subsidiary Level examinations. Higher Level International Baccalaureate courses are generally considered to be on a par with the Advanced Placement program courses of the College Entrance Examination Board.

Last Updated: 6/9/16