University of Toledo 1998 - 2000 Catalog

Department of Chemistry

A. Alan Pinkerton, Chairperson
Max O. Funk, Director of Graduate Studies
Julian A. Davies, Undergraduate Honors Adviser
Jimmie G. Edwards, Undergraduate Advising Coordinator
David Dollimore, International Exchange Adviser
Eric W. Findsen, Undergraduate Adviser
E. Jean Jacob, Undergraduate Adviser

Degrees Offered

The Department of Chemistry offers a baccalaureate degree program for a Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science.

Advanced Placement

Students with a score of 4 will receive credit for CHEM 1230 and 1280; students with a score of 5 will receive credit for 1230, 1280, 1240 and 1290.

Requirements for the Undergraduate Major

For the Bachelor of Arts degree in chemistry, the following courses must be included: CHEM 1230, 1240, 1280, 1290, 2410, 2420, 2460, 2470, 3310, 3360, 3710, 3720; 3510 or 3610; 3860. The following related courses are required: MATH 1850, 1860 and PHYS 2070, 2080.

For the Bachelor of Science degree in chemistry, the following courses must be included: CHEM 1230, 1240, 1280, 1290, 2410, 2420, 2480, 2490, 3310, 3360, 3610, 3730, 3740, 3860, 3870, 4300, 4880 and 3 additional hours of advanced chemistry courses from CHEM 3510, 3520, 4620 and 4980; CHEM 4910 also can be used as an advanced chemistry course with a minimum of 4 credit hours. The following related courses are required: MATH 1850, 1860 and 2850 and PHYS 2130 and 2140. An accumulated average of 2.5 in chemistry is required for graduation with this degree.

The Bachelor of Science degree program meets the minimum standard of the American Chemical Society as specified by its Committee on Professional Training, so that the degree recipients are certified by the American Chemical Society and are eligible for full membership in the society.

The Department of Chemistry strongly advises students who wish to enroll in 3000 or 4000 level courses present minimum grades of C in prerequisite courses. Students pursuing a chemistry major may not elect the P/NC option in major or related courses, or prerequisites for these courses, except as noted in specific course descriptions.

Experience in Research

The department offers experience in research under faculty guidance at all levels, in CHEM 2910, 3910 and 4910. Students are encouraged to talk with faculty members about research participation and to consult with more than one faculty member about appropriate projects. A student who wishes to participate in research should obtain the consent of a faculty member who agrees to guide this work and the approval of a departmental undergraduate adviser, before the first day of the first quarter that he/she enrolls for CHEM 2910, 3910 or 4910. Students may enroll in the different courses, CHEM 2910, 3910 and 4910, with different faculty members.

Minor in Chemistry

The minor in chemistry is designed to complement the objectives of students in a variety of majors. A minimum of 22 hours of chemistry courses and a GPA of 2.0 or higher in those courses are required for the minor in chemistry, which may be taken with emphasis in certain subdisciplines. No courses in the minor may be taken P/NC except CHEM 4920. The following courses must be included: CHEM 1230, 1240, 1280, 1290, 2410, 2420, 2460 and 2470 (or 2480 and 2490). For the minor in chemistry without subdiscipline additional courses must be selected from: CHEM 3310, 3360, 3510, 3520, 3610, 3710, 3720, 3730, 3740, 3860, 3870, 4300, 4610, 4880 and 4920. For the minor in chemistry with emphasis on biological chemistry, additional courses must be selected from: CHEM 3310, 3510, 3520, 3710, 3720 and 4880. For the minor in chemistry with emphasis in physical chemistry, additional courses must be selected from: CHEM 3730, 3740, 3860, 3870, 4880 and 4920.

Honors in Chemistry

Qualified students may be invited to work for the citation "Honors in Chemistry."


The program is open to all chemistry majors studying toward the B.S. degree and to other students with the consent of the Departmental Honors adviser and the Chairperson of the Department. The program may be undertaken concurrently with University Honors. Admission to the Departmental Honors program is based on academic standing, recommendations by instructors and an interview with the Departmental Honors adviser. A minimum overall GPA of 3.3 and a GPA of 3.5 in chemistry course work are typically required for admission and for retention in the program. Any student may petition the Departmental Honors adviser for admission to the program. A student should normally begin the program no later than the end of the sophomore year.


Each Honors student must satisfactorily complete CHEM 4910, independent research, with a written thesis and an oral research report upon completion of the research project. A minimum of 6 hours of chemistry courses at the 3000 and 4000 level in addition to CHEM 4910 must be taken for Honors. These courses must be in at least two different areas of chemistry, to be selected from among analytical chemistry, biochemistry, inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry and physical chemistry. The instructor in each of these courses will plan activities above the normal requirements of the course for the Honors student, in line with the aims of the Honors program to encourage independent scholarship. Outside reading and writing may be important components of each Honors course assignment. Students enrolled in the departmental Honors program also are encouraged to participate in the department's colloquium program. For good standing, a minimum overall GPA of 3.3 and a GPA of 3.5 in chemistry course work must be maintained throughout the program.

Junior Year Studies in England for Chemistry Majors

The University of Toledo has an exchange program agreement with the University of Salford, Salford, England. Selected Toledo students spend their junior years at Salford, and students in the Salford three-year Chemistry Honors Program spend their second year at Toledo. Eligibility is based on scholastic standing. Participants in the program pay their instructional and general fees to their home institutions. Information on the program may be obtained from the Departmental International Exchange Adviser.

Last Updated: 5/10/18