Provost's Office

General Academic Policies

Refer to the General Section of the Catalog for general academic policies that apply to all students.

Grade Deletion

The College of Education and Allied Professions will permit a maximum total of 12 semester hours to be deleted.

Academic Suspension

Academic Suspension means that a student is dropped from The University of Toledo for a period of at least one semester. Refer to the General Section of the Catalog for the University policy on suspension.

Once the suspension is served, the student desiring readmission to the College must appeal in writing to the director of the Student Services Center at least three weeks prior to registration for the semester in which attendance is desired.

Suspended students who are granted readmission must maintain the designated grade point average for each semester thereafter. Students failing to meet these conditions are subject to academic dismissal. The dean's decision on dismissal is final.

A student suspended twice from the college will not be permitted to enroll in classes at the University for one full calendar year from the date of dismissal. (Note: Students are required to remove incomplete grades during suspension periods.)


A student may be dismissed under the circumstances listed below. Dismissed students are not eligible for readmission to the College of Education and Allied Professions.

1.Failure to meet the conditions of readmission after suspension from the College of Education and Allied Professions.

2.Demonstrating patterns of behavior that are inappropriate for students preparing for educational roles or for failing to meet the "morals" standard as defined by the state of Ohio.

Regulations for probation, suspension and dismissal apply to both full-time and part-time students. In all matters, the dean's decision is final.

Academic Honesty

See the General Section of this Catalog for the specific policy.

Academic Grievances

Due Process: Policy and Procedures

Students have the responsibility and right to call to the attention of a professor any grade that the student believes to be in error. Such attention must follow the procedure described. This procedure must be initiated within 60 days of the posting of the grade report.

1.The student meets with the instructor to attempt to resolve the problem.

2.If the procedure in Step 1 does not resolve the problem, the student may request intercession by the department chairperson. The chairperson attempts to resolve the problem, but the chairperson may not unilaterally change the grade.

3.Should the problem not be resolved at the department level, the student may appeal in writing to the associate dean. This written document must specifically state the reasons for the appeal and the desired outcome. The student must meet with the associate dean to review and discuss the problem, but a decision will not be rendered

4.If the student wishes to continue the appeal, the written appeal will be submitted to the Student Appeals Committee of the College. This committee is a subcommittee of the College Academic Affairs Committee.

5.The Student Appeals Committee will collect all data related to the case, in writing, as well as interviewing the student and/or instructor, if necessary, to make recommendations on the matter. All proceedings and deliberations of the committee will remain in confidence.

6.The Student Appeals Committee will submit its findings to the dean of the college with a copy to the chairperson of the College Academic Affairs Committee. The dean will be responsible for informing all appropriate parties of a final decision.

7.If the faculty member or student wishes, a further appeal can be taken to the University Academic Appeals Committee.

Students who seek recourse for allegations relative to academic problems should consult the following sources: University Policies and Procedures Manual, Student Handbook, and The Student Teacher Handbook. Graduate students should refer to the grievance policy of the Graduate School.

Last Updated: 6/9/16