Judith Herb College of Education


FAQs for the Middle Childhood and AYA Licensure and Master’s Program (LAMP)

Q:  Do I have to have any education courses to enter the program?

A:  Education courses are not necessary as you receive all needed coursework in the program.  There are some students that may have education courses, but all courses in LAMP must be taken as part of the program.

Q:  Who typically applies to the program?

A:  Some of our applicants are recent graduates, mostly from Ohio schools, and some applicants are career changers.

Q:  Do my content area courses need to be completed prior to starting the program, or can I take some courses during the LAMP year? 

A:  All courses must be completed prior to starting the program.  If additional content is needed, you can complete the courses before you start the program, but your acceptance will be on the condition that the courses have been completed with the required GPA of 2.7 or higher.

Q:  What is the deadline to apply to the program? 

A:  A Coursework Review Form must be completed first (link to review form). This form would need to be completed by April 1.  The LAMP application must be completed by May 1 and an interview will also be conducted.  The LAMP application will be available to you after you meet with the advisor and discuss your coursework review. The College of Graduate Studies Application must be completed by July 10th.  https://apply.utoledo.edu

Q:  Do I need to pass the Ohio Assessment Test of CONTENT before the program starts? 

A:  Yes, the LAMP advisor needs to have a copy of the scores emailed to her when you receive them.  Tests dates, sites and required test(s) can be found at http://www.oh.nesinc.com/ .  This test will cover the content in which you will be licensed. 

Q:  When does the program start? 

A:  There will be a one-week orientation before the fall semester begins.  You will most likely start in the school in which you will be placed when fall semester starts at The University of Toledo.  Your courses at the university will start the same week.

Q:  Do I have to find a placement for the year?

A:  No, we will arrange school placements as part of the program. We arrange  placements within a 30 mile radius from the university.  We do, however, try to find placements that are within minimal driving time from your home.  You will not be placed in a school where you attended or a family member is working.

Q:  When does the program end?

A:  The program will end by July 1.  At this time, you will have spent the school year completing a yearlong internship and will be ready to apply for licensure in Ohio.  You will also have completed the master’s degree in education.

Q:  Are there evening classes?

A:  All classes will be during the day and finished by 5 p.m.  We want to allow for study time and family time.

Q:  Do I follow the school’s break or UT’s break for holidays?

A:  You will be following UT’s schedule for courses taken on campus, but breaks will most likely not coincide with your placement school.  You will need to be at the school when they are in session.  You will be on break only when both UT and the school are on break.

Q:  What is the cost of the program?

A:  The cost for the program for 2013/14 was approximately $18,870 for in- state and $31,600 for non-resident.  This includes tuition and fees, which are subject to change.

Q:  Are scholarships available? 

A:  Yes, the Judith Herb College of Education does offer scholarship opportunities which are linked to the website http://www.utoledo.edu/education/, and which are offered in March of each year. 

Q:  How many students are accepted into the program? 

A:  Cohort size will range from 28 students to 35 students each year.  The one-year LAMP is a highly competitive program and is one-of-a-kind in the State of Ohio.  Admission to the program is by application approval only.

Q:  Is the Ohio Licensure accepted in other states?

A:  Yes, Ohio has a rigorous licensure code and over 35 states see this as a transferable license.  If interested, please check the Ohio Department of Education for additional states and their licensure requirements.

Last Updated: 4/12/17