Judith Herb College of Education

Endorsements and Licensure


Career and Technical Education Licensure

Career-Technical Teacher Education focuses on teacher preparation in traditional programming as well as non-traditional programs that rely primarily on practitioners who exit industry to enter teaching positions.  The CTE program has focused on initial licensure/teacher preparation as well as professional development for teachers through degree programming, in-service training and offering professional licensure add-ons and endorsements.  The CTE program provides leadership for Ohio Career-Technical Teacher Education by preparing teaching professionals to instruct/prepare students for successful careers in Ohio.

 For more information, please visit the program website.

Early Childhood Generalist Endorsement (grades 4-5)

The Ohio Department of Education has created an Early Childhood Generalist Endorsement to enable Early Childhood (Pre-kindergarten through Grade 3) license holders to meet additional requirements that would broaden the scope of their license so they also could teach fourth and fifth grades

For more information, please visit the program website.

Gifted and Talented Endorsement

The GT Endorsement (State of Ohio) teaching license enhancement, provides holders with specific training in the nature and needs of Gifted, Talented and Creative (GTC) students. The program is moving toward a fully on-line offering base, and provides opportunity for degree seekers to work with GTC children during our GT@UT Summer Camp. 

For more information, please visit the program website.

Ohio Reading Endorsement

We invite you to join the Judith Herb College of Education Literacy Faculty for the opportunity to refresh your mind, renew your energy and reinvigorate your teaching.  Don't miss this opportunity to think together with other professionals about teaching and learning literacy. 

You may want to start working on your master’s degree or on your Ohio Reading Endorsement.  Or perhaps you want to learn about the latest advances in literacy theory, research and practice.

For more information, please visit the program website.

Preschool Special Needs Endorsement

Students seeking an Ohio endorsement in Preschool Special Needs (PSNE) must hold a current teaching license in K-12 Intervention Specialist  (mild/moderate or moderate/intensive). If you add this endorsement, you can teach in an Ohio public preschool, which is a special education unit funded by the federal government. 

For more information, please visit the program website.

Toledo Transition

The primary goal of Toledo Transition (T2) is to provide students with intellectual and developmental disabilities a college experience that enhances social, academic, and vocational skills leading to a high quality of life.  The T2 program is a 2-year or 4-year non-degree certificate program for young adults seeking an inclusive college experience that prepares them for gainful employment. 

For more information, please visit the program website.

Transition to Work Endorsement

The Transition-to-Work (TTW) endorsement program is designed for Ohio teachers licensed as intervention specialists (special education) or vocational educators. The TTW endorsement leads to a qualification applicable to all former transition roles such as Work Study Coordinator, Vocational Special Education Coordinator (VOSE), Career Assessment Specialist, and Job Training Coordinators.

For more information, please visit the program website.

Licensure and Master's Program

The Licensure and Master’s Program (LAMP) is for people who have a bachelors degree and want to become a licensed teacher. The programs enable a student to get both Ohio licensure and a master’s degree in education.

For more information, please visit the program website.


University of Toledo programs leading to licensure and/or endorsement satisfy the academic requirements for that credential set forth by the State of Ohio. If you are interested seeking licensure outside of Ohio, check the requirements set forth by the appropriate licensing body in the state in which you intend to practice.

Last Updated: 3/20/18