Accounting Master's Degree Overview
Achieve greater breadth and depth of knowledge—and increase your earning potential—with The University of Toledo's Master of Science in Accountancy (MSA), a one-year master degree in accounting.
As an AACSB-accredited accounting graduate school, the UToledo College of Business and Innovation's Department of Accounting will help you learn advanced skills for high-level, long-term success as an accountant and business leader. UToledo's accounting master degree program is also specifically designed to fulfill Uniform CPA Exam requirements, so you can qualify to sit for the test in Ohio and other states.
Accounting Master's Degree Highlights
- Fast, Flexible Track to Success: Earn your master’s degree in accounting with only 10 courses—or 30 credit hours. Choose from a mix of online and evening classes that fit within your needs and schedule to complete the MSA in nine months of full-time study or enroll part time.
- National Reputation: Get your master’s degree from one of the best masters of accountancy schools in Ohio and the nation. UToledo's Accounting Department is a member of the Federation of Schools of Accountancy (FSA), which is "committed to the promotion and support of high-quality accredited graduate accounting programs".
- Small Classes, Experienced Faculty: Enjoy individual attention from dedicated accounting faculty. The average class size for UToledo students earning a master’s degree in accountancy is 20, which supports interaction and collaboration with other graduate degree candidates, unique perspectives from professors experienced in the field, and real-time responses on hot topics in the industry.
- CPA Exam: Increase your odds of passing the CPA Exam, with help from the Alan Barry Workshop Series and free Alan Barry Accounting Lab, the only facility of its kind in the nation with lab licenses for CPA and CMA review material. Nationwide, MSA graduates have higher pass rates than those without the graduate degree.
- Advanced Job Skills: Achieve higher-level career success in a dynamic work environment. The master’s degree in accountancy program gives you professional experience with critical and analytical thinking, leadership, teamwork, effective communication, and big data and data analytics—vital skills for competing in today's job market.
With a 100 percent job placement rate* within a year after graduation, University of Toledo graduates have the potential to increase their starting salary by more than 20 percent with an accounting master degree. University of Toledo alumni are highly sought after by top local and national accounting firms, corporate entities and Fortune 500 companies in Toledo, Ohio, and the U.S.
*among U.S. citizens legally authorized to work in the United States
Examples of Employers Hiring UToledo Master of Accountancy Graduates:
|CliftonLarsonAllen||Ohio Department of Taxation|
|Deloitte & Touche||Owens Corning|
|Ernst & Young||PriceWaterhouseCoopers|
|Gilmore Jasion Mahler||The Andersons|
|Marathon Petroleum||Thomson Reuters|
“The MSA program has helped me in my professional career by appropriately preparing me for the CPA examination and giving me the knowledge base needed to perform my job as an auditor at a Big Four accounting firm. The most beneficial aspect of the MSA program at UToledo was the faculty. I enjoyed connecting with each faculty member and learning about research projects they had conducted. Each professor I had was extremely approachable and willing to assist with any questions I had.“
Nina Chelminiak, CPA, Staff II, Ernst & Young
Accounting Master's Degree Curriculum
With a variety of online and evening courses to choose from, you can earn a master degree in accounting on your own time and schedule to achieve your career goals. MSA students can also combine coursework from available options to earn additional degrees—such as a juris doctor (JD) or master's in business administration (MBA)—in related areas of study for diverse options along a career path.
Sample Master of Accountancy Graduate Program Courses:
|ACCT 6130 External Financial Reporting III||ACCT 6310 Advanced Managerial Accounting|
|ACCT 6190 Financial Contemporary Problems||ACCT 6450 Fraud and Forensic Accounting|
|ACCT 6210 Research in Accounting and Taxation||BUAD 6600 Supply Chain Management|
|ACCT 6150 International Accounting and Taxation||BUAD 6800 Information Technology & E-Business|
|ACCT 6250 Taxation of Business Entities|
Internship Opportunities for Accounting Master's Degree
More than 85 percent of accounting majors participate in an internship while working toward their accounting bachelor's degree at The University of Toledo. Internships help you learn from accomplished professionals in the accounting field while earning college credit and money. The College of Business and Innovation partners with dozens of public accounting firms and Fortune 500 companies in Toledo, Ohio, and the U.S. to offer you well-paid internship placements that often lead to full-time jobs after graduation.
Typical Internship Locations:
|Ernst & Young||Plante & Moran|
|Gilmore Jasion Mahler||PricewaterhouseCoopers|
|Marathon Petroleum Corporation||Weber O'Brien, Ltd|