- About the Program
- Program Requirements
- Course Descriptions
- Prospective Students
- Current Students
- Projects & Events
(faculty & students)
The University of Toledo
Toledo, OH 43606-3390
Educational Psychology is a graduate-level program in the department of Educational Foundations and Leadership at the Judith Herb College of Education (JHCOE). Educational psychology is devoted to the study of the psychological dimensions of education, teaching, learning, and human development
The program offers both M.A. Degrees and Ph.D. Degrees with two concentrations: Human Development and Learning and Cognitive Science. Each area of specialization incorporates the most recent trends in psychology with implications and applications for education and other social service settings. Graduates of the program find employment in university teaching and research, government agencies, and business.
Areas of Concentration
Human development concerns the study of developmental age trends; the causes and consequences of individual differences in cognitive, social, and emotional development; and the unfolding of human development in various cultural contexts, including the development of cultural identity.
Learning and Cognitive Science
Learning and cognitive science explores student learning as well as complex cognitive processes and their impact in educational contexts. This area also considers the impact of affective and cultural influences, including motivation, on cognitive processing.
The following questions constitute broad categories of inquiry that frame the inquiry-based
model of graduate education in Educational Psychology:
- What is the nature of learning?
- What is the relationship between motivation and learning?
- What is the impact of social and cultural factors on learning?
- What is the relationship between affect and cognition?
- What is the nature of human development?
- What constitutes development through the life cycle?
- What is the impact of social and cultural forces on human development?
- What is the impact of the knowledge of learning and human development on educational theory, policy, and practice?