Judith Herb College of Education

Frequently Asked Questions


For Prospective Students in Special Education LAMP

Special Education Teacher

General LAMP Questions

  • Q.  What is the LAMP?
  • A.  There are many ways to become a teacher. Some school districts will hire college graduates with degrees in an arts and sciences content area as licensed teachers on an emergency basis. But state licensure offers the best opportunity for long-term stability in a teaching career. The Licensure and Masters Program (LAMP) is designed for someone who has an undergraduate degree in an area other than education (or a general education area) and would like to become a licensed Intervention Specialist. Our program offers courses that will lead to teacher licensure by the State of Ohio and a Master’s degree in education. Additional requirements for teacher licensure include a criminal background check and successful completion of the Ohio Assessment for Educators (OAE).

  • Q.  What steps do I have to take to complete the LAMP in Special Education?
  • A.  The program has three components:
    1. Graduate courses in Special Education content and fieldwork required for teacher preparation and licensure by the State.
    2. Completion of supervised internship/student teaching and the passing of teacher licensure examinations (OAE).
    3. After State Licensure is completed, a limited number of additional Graduate courses will complete the Masters Degree.
  • Q.  When can I begin the program?
  • A.  Students may begin courses during any semester.

  • Q.  How long will it take to finish the program?
  • A.  The completion of the program depends on how many courses are taken each term. Based on course offerings, the quickest a student can complete the licensure requirements is four semesters. Additional course work after licensure is required to obtain the Graduate Degree.

  • Q.  I only want to take one course at a time. Is this possible?
  • A.  It is possible to take one course per semester. However, you must complete the all courses for the degree within a six year window.

  • Q.  What if I want to be a teacher, but do not want to earn the Graduate Degree?
  • A.  It is possible to complete State Licensure without completing the Graduate Degree. Typically, students who choose this option complete numbers 1, and 2 of the items listed in the answer to Question 2, but do not complete number 3.

  • Q.  Is financial assistance available?
  • A.  Information on Financial Aid is available from the Office of Financial Aid. In addition to government assistance, the University and College have a limited number of scholarships. Applicants should obtain scholarship applications from the Judith Herb College of Education in the spring of each year. Graduate assistantships (GAs) are highly competitive.  Applications are available from the College of Graduate Studies and are reviewed each spring.

  • Q.  Who will be my advisor?
  • A.  When you are admitted to the College of Graduate Studies, you are assigned a faculty person to be your advisor.  This person will be knowledgeable of the LAMP program and will assist you with scheduling, planning, etc. 

  • Q.  How do I enroll in the program?
  • A.  Applicants must apply to the College of Graduate Studies at UT. The application is completed online.

  • Q.  How do I complete the application successfully?
  • A.  There are several things which ensure a smooth application process:
    1. Indicate the correct degree and major
      • Degree code is ME (Master of Education)
      • Major code is ZMMN (LAMP Special Education Mild/Mod Needs)
      • ZMSN (LAMP Special Education Mod/Severe Needs)
      • Three Letters of Recommendations - from people who can speak to your ability to be successful with graduate level work
    2. Statement of Purpose – write a few paragraphs explaining your reasons for the degree and which teaching license area you are seeking.  If you are seeking the PreSchool Special Needs Endorsement, note that at the top of your Statement of Purpose. Discuss your bachelor’s degree and how you came to change your field/career.
  • Q.  Is there a minimum GPA for admission?
  • A.  Students applying for LAMP must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.7 for all undergraduate course work and a minimum GPA of 2.7 for their content area course work.

  • Q.  How long does the application process take? How soon should I apply?
  • A.  Students are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.  While applications are reviewed all year round, it takes several weeks for you to collect all the application materials (letters of recommendation, transcripts, etc.).  The department will not receive your application materials from the College of Graduate Studies until the whole application package is complete.

Registration for a term begins 3-5 months before the first day of class. If you wait to apply and, in turn, are admitted a week or two before the term begins, many classes will already be full/closed.

Special Education Teacher and StudentQuestions Regarding Courses/Expectations

  • Q.  What time of day are the courses offered?
  • A.  During Fall and Spring terms, courses are offered in the evening. Method courses have a field component that requires the student to be available during the day.  During the summer term, courses are offered during the day and in the evening.

  • Q.  I have worked for many years in parochial or private schools. Can I have my Field Experience waived?
  • A.  No. Field Courses/experiences cannot be waived. Students will need to complete applied assignments as an outcome of their learning. These assignments are linked directly to the methods courses.

  • Q.  If I am currently teaching, and you will not waive Field Courses, is there any way I can remain employed and take your program?
  • A.  Maybe. Under certain circumstances your employer can request the College of Education to use your current teaching placement as the location of your fieldwork. This arrangement is at the discretion of your employer, the University, and other parties. You can learn more about this possibility by contacting the Field Experience Office.

  • Q.  How difficult is the program? Can I work a part-time job and study at the same time?
  • A.  The Graduate program in Education is a rigorous and demanding series of courses which will require your complete concentration. Successful students recommend working no more than a few hours per week, or they recommend delaying enrollment until adequate financial resources have been secured.

  • Q.  Will I be highly qualified when I complete the LAMP in Special Education?
  • A.  A Special Education teacher (by law) must demonstrate they are knowledgeable of academic content (e.g., English/LA; Mathematics; Science; Social Studies) to be “highly qualified (HQT)”. If you have an academic major in one of these subjects in your Bachelor’s degree, then you are HQT in that subject. If not, then you will need to pass the reading Praxis II test (#0200) to be HQT in English/LA (along with completing BA degree, and being fully licensed as an Intervention Specialist).   When you are HQT in ONE subject area, a school is able to hire you.  Hence, it is highly recommended that UT special education graduates take this test if they want to teach.

  • Q. If I want to complete my Graduate Degree, how much study is required beyond State Licensure?
  • A. There are nine semester hours beyond State Licensure to earn the Masters Degree. Candidates of the Graduate Degree must observe all requirements for the College of Graduate Studies. This is highly recommended. You are investing in yourself. Finish your graduate degree.

  • Q. How can I find out more?
  • A. To find out more you should: 
    • Research programs in teacher education to make sure our program will best suit your needs. 
    • Read the University of Toledo catalog. 
    • Review the program checksheet.

Contact Us at lamp@utoledo.edu or call 419-530-4967

Return to Special Education LAMP

Last Updated: 5/1/18