Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry

Degree Requirements: Minor in Chemistry

The Minor in Chemistry is designed to complement the objectives of students in a variety of majors. A minimum of 22 hours of chemistry courses and a GPA of 2.0 or higher in those courses are required to earn the Minor in Chemistry. No courses in the minor, other than Chem 4920, may be taken P/NC. The following courses must be included:

Please note, students completing a minor cannot use courses from their minor to satisfy requirements in the major or to satisfy another minor.

Minor in Chemistry
Required Courses
CHEM 1230 General Chemistry I 4
CHEM 1240 General Chemistry II 4
CHEM 1280 General Chemistry Laboratory I 1
CHEM 1290 General Chemistry Laboratory II 1
CHEM 2410 Organic Chemistry I 3
CHEM 2420 Organic Chemistry II 3
CHEM 2460 Organic Chemistry Laboratory I 1
CHEM 2470 Organic Chemistry Laboratory II* 1
4 Credit Hours Selected From
CHEM 3310 Analytical Chemistry 2
CHEM 3360 Analytical Chemistry Laboratory 2
CHEM 3510 Biochemistry I** 3
CHEM 3520 Biochemistry II** 3
CHEM 3560 Biochemistry Laboratory 1
CHEM 3610 Inorganic Chemistry I 3
CHEM 3710 Physical Chemistry for the Biosciences I*** 3
CHEM 3720 Physical Chemistry for the Biosciences II**** 3
CHEM 3730 Physical Chemistry I 3
CHEM 3740 Physical Chemistry II 3
CHEM 3810 Chemistry of Sustainable Energy Resources 3
CHEM 3860 Advanced Laboratory I 2
CHEM 3870 Advanced Laboratory II 2
CHEM 4300 Instrumental Analysis 2
CHEM 4500 Advanced Biological Chemistry 4
CHEM 4510 Protein Chemistry 4
CHEM 4520 Enzymology 4
CHEM 4530 Nucleic Acid Chemistry 4
CHEM 4620 Inorganic Chemistry II 3
CHEM 4880 Advanced Laboratory III 2
CHEM 4920 Reading in Chemistry III 1-3
*CHEM 2480 or 2490 is also accepted for CHEM 2470  
**MBC 3550/3560 is also accepted for CHEM 3510/3520  
***no credit if 3730 is taken  
****no credit if 3740 is taken  

Students who wish to pursue the Minor in Chemistry have the responsibility, in consultation with their major advisor, to see that the necessary courses are included in their program of study. Candidates for the Minor in Chemistry must officially declare the minor with the College of Arts and Sciences (UH3000). Questions regarding specific chemistry courses can be directed to any chemistry advisor.


Last Updated: 6/9/16