Connect With Us
Resources and Links
- Blackboard/WebCT Login
- College Catalog
- Career Series Bulletin
- Drug Information Resources
- Experiential Education
- Honors Program
- Library/Learning Resources
- Research Opportunities for CPPS Students
- Student Affairs
- Student Organizations
Health Science Campus
Frederic and Mary Wolfe Center
Visiting Assistant Professor
Post Doctoral Research Associate, 2007-2012
Department of Pharmacology
College of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
The University of Toledo, Toledo, OH.
Positions and Honors
Research and/or Professional Experience/ Employment
2000-2002 Research Assistant, Chronic Care Center/Department of Human Genetics
2000-2002 Graduate Research and Teaching Assistan, American University of Beirut/Biology Department
2002-2007 Graduate Research and Teaching Assistant, University of Toledo/OH
2007-Current Post Doctoral Fellow, University of Toledo/Department of Pharmacology
2005/2006 Professional Functional Genomics Workshop, Ohio State University
2007 Workshop on Principles of Microscopy, Fundamentals with MetaMorph/Mn
1. AbouAlaiwi, Wissam A., Rodriguez, I., Nauli, S. Spectral Karyotyping (SKY) to Study Chromosome Abnormalities in Humans and Mice with Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD). J Vis Exp. 2012 Feb 3;(60). pii: 3887. doi: 10.3791/3887.
2. Wissam A. AbouAlaiwi, Shobha D. Potlakayala, Stephen L. Goldman, Puthiyaparambil C. Josekutty, Deepkamal N. Karelia, Sairam V. Rudrabhatla. Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of the medicinal plant Centaurea montana. Plant Cell Tiss Organ Cult. Published online October 5th, 2011. DOI 10.1007/s11240-011-0067-8
3. Wissam AbouAlaiwi, Puthiyaparambil Chacko Josekutty, Stephen Lawrence Goldman, Shobha Devi Potlakayala, and Rudrabhatla Venkata Sairam. Efficient In Vitro Propagation of Centaurea Montana L. Propagation of Ornamental Plants. 2011. Vol. 11, No.1: 40-43.
4. Thomas J. Jones, Ravi K. Adapala, Werner J. Geldenhuys, Chris Bursley, Wissam A. AbouAlaiwi, Surya M. Nauli, and Charles K. Thodeti. Primary cilia regulates the directional migration and barrier integrity of endothelial cells through the modulation of hsp27 dependent actin cytoskeletal organization. Journal of Cellular Physiology. June 2011. Volume 226, Issue 6.
5. Wissam A. AbouAlaiwi, Shobha Ratnam, Robert L. Booth, Jagesh V. Shah and Surya M. Nauli. Endothelial cells from humans and mice with polycystic kidney disease are characterized by polyploidy and chromosome segregation defects through survivin down-regulation. Featured on the Cover of Human Molecular Genetics, 2011, Vol. 20, No. 2 354–367.
6. Surya M. Nauli, Hanan S. Haymour, Wissam A. Aboualaiwi, Shao T. Lo, Andromeda M. Nauli. Primary Cilia are Mechanosensory Organelles in Vestibular Tissues. Book Chapter. Mechanosensitivity and Mechanotransduction. Mechanosensitivity in Cells and Tissues. (2011) Volume 4, Part 6, 317-350.
7. Brian S. Muntean, Christine M. Horvat, James H. Behler, Wissam A. AbouAlaiwi, Andromeda M. Nauli, Frederick E. Williams and Surya M. Nauli. A comparative study of embedded and anesthetized zebrafish in vivo on myocardiac calcium oscillation and heart muscle contraction. Frontiers in Pharmacology . December 2010 Volume 1: 1-9.
8. Wissam A. AbouAlaiwi, Andromeda M. Nauli and Surya M. Nauli. Deciphering mechanosensory function of primary cilia in cardiovascular system. Book Chapter. Recent Advances in Cardiovascular Research: From Sleep to Exercise, 2010: 25-37.
9. Wissam A. AbouAlaiwi, Maki Takahashi, Blair R. Mell, Thomas J. Jones, Shobha Ratnam, Robert J. Kolb, Surya M. Nauli. Ciliary Polycystin-2 is a mechanosensitive calcium channel involved in nitric oxide signaling cascades. Featured on the Cover of Circulation Research, Vol 104, No. 7, 860-869. April 10, 2009.
10. Wissam A. AbouAlaiwi, Shao T. Lo and Surya M. Nauli. Primary Cilia: Highly Sophisticated Biological Sensors. Review. Sensors 2009, 9, 7003-7020.
11. AbouAlaiwi Wissam A. (2007) Advances in Biotechnology for the Enhancement of Medicinal Plants Pharmacology. PhD Thesis, University of Toledo, Ohio, USA.
12. Rudrabhatla Sairam, Siva Chennareddy, Madasamy Parani, Shulu Zhang, Diaa Al-abed, Wissam AbouAlaiwi, and Stephen Goldman. OPBC Symposium: Maize 2004 & Beyond- Plant Regeneration, Gene Discovery, and Genetic Engineering of Plants for Crop Improvement. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol-Plant 41:411-423, July-Aug 2005
13. G. Franklin, L. Carpenter, E. Davis, C.S. Reddy, D. Al-Abed, W. AbouAlaiwi, M. Parani, B. Smith, S.L. Goldman and R.V. Sairam. Factors influencing regeneration of soybean from mature and immature cotyledons. Plant Growth Regulation 43: 73-79, 2004
14. Inati A, Taher A, AbouAlaiwi W, Koussa S, Kaspar H, Shbaklo H, Zalloua PA. Globin gene cluster haplotypes and HbF levels are not the only modulators of sickle cell disease in Lebanon. Eur J Haematol 2003: 79-83
15. AbouAlaiwi Wissam A. (2002) Correlation between -Globin Gene Cluster Haplotypes and Clinical Manifestations of Sickle Cell Disease in Lebanon. Master’s Thesis. American University of Beirut, Beirut Lebanon.
- Role of transcriptional Regulation of Arabidopsis FBL Genes in Plant Defense. Aboualaiwi Wissam A., Zhang Shulu, Rudrabhatla Sairam, Goldman Stephen SLG. American Society of Plant Biologists 2005.Ciliary polycystin-2 functions in mechanosensory nitric oxide signaling pathway in endothelial cells.
- Wissam A. AbouAlaiwi, M Takahashi, B Mell, RJ Kolb, SM Nauli. FASEB-PKD 2008.
- Zebrafish as a model to study cardiovascular functions. Christine M. Horvat, James H. Behler, Wissam A. AbouAlaiwi, Blair M. Mell, Frederick E. Williams, Surya M. Nauli. Experimental Biology 2009.
- Shear stress induces actin rearrangement in endothelial cells. Zhenxia Zhang, Wissam A. AbouAlaiwi, Surya M. Nauli. Experimental Biology 2009.
- Dynamics structures of mechanosensory cilia. Shao Lo, Eric S. Przybylski, Wissam A. AbouAlaiwi, Maki Takahashi, Surya M. Nauli. Experimental Biology 2009.
- Differentiation of mechanical forces in perfused artery. Maki Takahashi, Blair M. Mell, Wissam A. AbouAlaiwi, Thomas J. Jones, Shobha Ratnam, Robert J. Kolb, Surya M. Nauli. Experimental Biology 2009.
- Roles of ciliary polycystin and survivin in cardiovascular abnormality in PKD. Wissam A. AbouAlaiwi and Surya M. Nauli. Experimental Biology 2009.
- Mechanism of Fractalkine/CX3CL1 Synthesis and Shedding in Rheumatoid Arthritis Synovial Fibroblasts. Jones, Brian, Beamer, Maria, Rahman, Ayesha, Aboualaiwi, Wissam A, Ahmed, Salahuddin. Rheumatology/Association of Rheumatology Health Professionals Annual Scientific Meeting, Chicago, Illinois November 4-9,2011.