Connect With Us
Resources and Links
- Blackboard/WebCT Login
- College Catalog
- Career Series Bulletin
- Drug Information Resources
- Experiential Education
- Honors Program
- Library/Learning Resources
- Research Opportunities for CPPS Students
- Student Affairs
- Student Organizations
Health Science Campus
Frederic and Mary Wolfe Center
- Admission Guidelines
- Departmental Courses
- Departmental Seminars
- Meet Our Graduates
- Ph.D. in Experimental Therapeutics
- M.S. in Pharmaceutical Sciences, Pharmacology/Toxicology
- Graduate Certificate in Pharmacology/Toxicology
- B.S. in Pharmaceutical Sciences, Pharmacology/Toxicology major
- Apply through the College of Graduate Studies
- Department of Pharmacology
- Download Graduate Catalog
- Download Graduate Brochure
Visiting Assistant Professor
Frederic and Mary Wolfe Center 282E
1996-2000 Master of Science in Biology, Lebanese University
2000-2002 Master of Science in Biology, American University of Beirut
2002-2007 Doctor of Philosophy in Biology, University of Toledo
2007-2012 Postdoctoral Research Associate, University of Toledo
- Development of Drugs and Targets for Polycystic Kidney Disease
- Development of Drugs and Targets for Cardiovascular Disease and Hypertension
- Primary Cilia function in Disease Pathophysiology
- Primary Cilia function in Cell Division and Cell Cycle Regulation
- Rahul M Prasad, Xingjian Jin, Wissam A Aboualaiwi and Surya M Nauli. Real-time vascular mechanosensation through ex vivo artery perfusion. Biol Proced Online 2014 31;16(1). Epub 2014 Mar 31.
- Wissam A. AbouAlaiwi, Brian S. Muntean, Shobha Ratnam, Robert L. Booth, Ingrid Rodriguez, Britney S. Herbert, Robert L. Bacallao, Marcus Fruttiger, Tak W. Mak, Jing Zhou, Surya M. Nauli. Survivin-induced abnormal ploidy contributes to cystic kidney and aneurysm formations. Circulation. Feb 11, 2014; 129:660-672. Featured in MDLinx Pharmacy and Global Medical Discovery.
- Roles of dopamine receptor on chemosensory and mechanosensory primary cilia in renal epithelial cells. Viralkumar S. Upadhyay, Brian S. Muntean, Jangyoun Hwang, Sarmed H. Kathem, Wissam A. AbouAlaiwi and Surya M. Nauli. Frontiers in Physiology. February 2014 | Volume 5 | Article 72 | 1
- Brian S. Muntean, Wissam AbouAlaiwi, Xingjian Jin, Frederick E. Williams, William T. Gunning, Andromeda M. Nauli, Surya M. Nauli. CaV1.2 interacts with and is dependent upon polycystin-2 for localization to primary cilia and maintaining cardiac function. EMBOJ. In revised Submission.
- Brian A. Jones, Ayesha Rahman, Sharayah Riegsecker, Maria Beamer, Wissam Aboualaiwi, Sadik A. Khuder, and Salahuddin Ahmed. Role of ADAM17, p38 MAPK, cathepsins, and proteasome pathway in the synthesis and shedding of fractalkine/CX3CL1 in rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis and Rheum. 2013 Jul 29. doi: 10.1002/art.38095.
- Nauli SM, Jin X, AbouAlaiwi WA, El-Jouni W, Su X, Zhou J. Non-motile primary cilia as fluid shear stress mechanosensors. Methods Enzymol. 2013;525:1-20. doi: 10.1016/B978-0-12-397944-5.00001-8.
- AbouAlaiwi, Wissam A., Rodriguez, I., Nauli, S. Spectral Karyotyping (SKY) to Study Chromosome Abnormalities in Humans and Mice with Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD). J Vis Exp. 2012 Feb 3;(60). pii: 3887. doi: 10.3791/3887.
- Wissam A. AbouAlaiwi, Shobha D. Potlakayala, Stephen L. Goldman, Puthiyaparambil C. Josekutty, Deepkamal N. Karelia, Sairam V. Rudrabhatla. Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of the medicinal plant Centaurea montana. Plant Cell Tiss Organ Cult. Published online October 5th, 2011. DOI 10.1007/s11240-011-0067-8.
- Wissam AbouAlaiwi, Puthiyaparambil Chacko Josekutty, Stephen Lawrence Goldman, Shobha Devi Potlakayala, and Rudrabhatla Venkata Sairam. Efficient In Vitro Propagation of Centaurea Montana L. Propagation of Ornamental Plants. 2011. Vol. 11, No.1: 40-43.
- Thomas J. Jones, Ravi K. Adapala, Werner J. Geldenhuys, Chris Bursley, Wissam A. AbouAlaiwi, Surya M. Nauli, and Charles K. Thodeti. Primary cilia regulates the directional migration and barrier integrity of endothelial cells through the modulation of hsp27 dependent actin cytoskeletal organization. Journal of Cellular Physiology. June 2011. Volume 226, Issue 6.
- Wissam A. AbouAlaiwi, Shobha Ratnam, Robert L. Booth, Jagesh V. Shah and Surya M. Nauli. Endothelial cells from humans and mice with polycystic kidney disease are characterized by polyploidy and chromosome segregation defects through survivin down-regulation. Human Molecular Genetics, 2011, Vol. 20, No. 2 354–367. Featured on the Cover of the journal.
- Surya M. Nauli, Hanan S. Haymour, Wissam A. Aboualaiwi, Shao T. Lo, Andromeda M. Nauli. Primary Cilia are Mechanosensory Organelles in Vestibular Tissues. Book Chapter. Mechanosensitivity and Mechanotransduction. Mechanosensitivity in Cells and Tissues. (2011) Volume 4, Part 6, 317-350.
- Brian S. Muntean, Christine M. Horvat, James H. Behler, Wissam A. AbouAlaiwi, Andromeda M. Nauli, Frederick E. Williams and Surya M. Nauli. A comparative study of embedded and anesthetized zebrafish in vivo on myocardiac calcium oscillation and heart muscle contraction. Frontiers in Pharmacology . December 2010 Volume 1: 1-9.
- Wissam A. AbouAlaiwi, Andromeda M. Nauli and Surya M. Nauli. Deciphering mechanosensory function of primary cilia in cardiovascular system. Book Chapter. Recent Advances in Cardiovascular Research: From Sleep to Exercise, 2010: 25-37.
- Wissam A. AbouAlaiwi, Maki Takahashi, Blair R. Mell, Thomas J. Jones, Shobha Ratnam, Robert J. Kolb, Surya M. Nauli. Ciliary Polycystin-2 is a mechanosensitive calcium channel involved in nitric oxide signaling cascades. Circulation Research, Vol 104, No. 7, 860-869. April 10, 2009. Featured on the Cover of the journal.
- Wissam A. AbouAlaiwi , Shao T. Lo and Surya M. Nauli. Primary Cilia: Highly Sophisticated Biological Sensors. Review. Sensors 2009, 9, 7003-7020.
- Rudrabhatla Sairam, Siva Chennareddy, Madasamy Parani, Shulu Zhang, Diaa Al-abed, Wissam AbouAlaiwi, and Stephen Goldman. OPBC Symposium: Maize 2004 & Beyond- Plant Regeneration, Gene Discovery, and Genetic Engineering of Plants for Crop Improvement. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol-Plant 41:411-423, July-Aug 2005.
- G. Franklin, L. Carpenter, E. Davis, C.S. Reddy, D. Al-Abed, W. AbouAlaiwi, M. Parani, B. Smith, S.L. Goldman and R.V. Sairam. Factors influencing regeneration of soybean from mature and immature cotyledons. Plant Growth Regulation. 43: 73-79, 2004.
- Inati A, Taher A, AbouAlaiwi W, Koussa S, Kaspar H, Shbaklo H, Zalloua PA. Globin gene cluster haplotypes and HbF levels are not the only modulators of sickle cell disease in Lebanon. Eur J Haematol 2003: 79-83.