Speech-Language Pathology Bachelor's Degree Overview
Caring and competence. Those are the qualities The University of Toledo cultivates in speech-language pathology students.
Our program’s committed faculty teaches undergraduates how to assess and provide therapy for adults and children with speech and language disorders.
UT is one of the few programs in the U.S. to offer undergraduates the chance to interact with real clients. Clinical experience in our on-campus clinic is integral to our students’ development.
Speech-Language Pathology Bachelor's Degree Highlights
- Hands-on work. UT is one of the few universities in the nation where undergraduates work directly with clients during their senior years. This clinical experience in our in-house speech clinic gives you an advantage when applying to graduate school.
- UT’s in-house Speech-Language-Hearing Clinic. Undergraduates are required to work with a variety of clients here. The clinic offers high-quality, cutting-edge therapy and a wide range of specialty services.
- Auditory and Language Enriched Program — a play group for young children who are deaf or hard of hearing
- Northwest Ohio Stuttering Clinic — the area’s only nonprofit, private clinic to focus on evaluation and treatment of stuttering, research and education
- The DaZy Aphasia Center — therapy and support for people who can’t understand or express speech
- Student research. UToledo undergraduates work closely with faculty to develop research skills. They publish their research and present posters at international, national and state conferences. Students have studied:
- Attitudes toward people who stutter
- Bullying experienced by those with communication disorders
- Developmental language
- Auditory rehabilitation for children with hearing aids
- Engaged faculty. All speech-language faculty members are active in clinical and research endeavors.
- Master’s program. UT’s speech-language pathology program attracts hard-working, high-achieving students. Many continue their educations in UT’s accredited master’s speech-language pathology program.
Many of our students continue their educations in UToledo's accredited master’s degree program in speech-language pathology or in a related graduate program (school counseling, educational psychology and education).
Graduates of our speech-language pathology master's program are well prepared to work in school systems, health-care systems (clinics and hospitals) and research facilities.
"The SLP program at UT is amazing! The teachers truly care about the students and only want what’s best for them. I am so grateful for my experiences in the program."
Alli Wyrick, '17
"The faculty and staff in UT’s speech-language pathology program genuinely cared about my success as a student. Great lengths were taken to prepare me for the progressing field of SLP and to help me stay competitive during the graduate school application process."
Olivia Lause, '17
Speech-Language Pathology Bachelor's Degree Plan of Study
Speech-Language Pathology Bachelor’s Degree Sample Courses
- Health Problems of Aging
- Language Disorders
- Clinical Phonetics
View Plan of Study