Compliance & Privacy Office



Contact Us

Lynn Hutt
Compliance & Privacy Officer
Phone: 419.383.6933
Fax: 419.383.2000
Mulford Library 048
Mail Stop 1089

Compliance Reporting

How to Report Compliance Concerns

We are all responsible for compliance. This includes asking questions if you’re not sure what to do and raising concerns if you see something you don’t think is right. Identifying a problem early can prevent a small problem from becoming big. It’s also the right thing to do.


Where to best raise a concern depends on your particular concern and situation.

1. Contact your supervisor
2. Contact the appropriate department
3. Compliance Issues
4. HIPAA Violation issues
5. Compliance & Ethics Hotline: 888-416-1308
6. Government Agency 

1. Contact your supervisor

The best place to raise a concern typically begins within your own supervisory channels, beginning with an immediate supervisor. Usually, the local unit is the most familiar with the issues and parties and best equipped to address or raise a concern to a higher level. Many units have also identified specific people to handle certain kinds of problems.

2. Contact the appropriate department

Sometimes, because of the subject matter or due to work or personal relationships, concerns may best be raised first through a specialized central office. Examples include the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action for concerns about discrimination or sexual harassment, Athletics Compliance for possible NCAA violations, or Human Resources.

3. Compliance issues

Compliance issues should be reported directly to the Compliance Office at 419-383-6933.

4. HIPAA violation issues

All questions and concerns related to HIPAA violations should be reported as soon as possible to 419-383-6933.

5. Compliance & Ethics Hotline

Concerned about a possible violation of law or policy and are uncomfortable raising it through normal channels? Use the Compliance & Ethics hotline, the University’s confidential reporting service.

What to Report: Report any situation or University conduct you believe violates an applicable law, regulation, government contract or grant requirement, or University policy. You do not need to know the exact law or requirement, or be certain a violation has or will occur. When in doubt, the better course of action is to report.

What not to Report: Report emergencies to 911. This reporting service also does not include employment concerns that are not legal or policy violations, purely student concerns, or issues for which the University is not responsible. Again, if you are uncertain, the better course of action is to report.

Your Obligations as a Reporter: University employees are expected to report good faith concerns about possible violation of any policy, law, rule, regulation, contract or grant governing any University activity, and are expected to be truthful and cooperative in the University's investigation of allegations. Knowingly making false reports can lead to discipline.

Your Rights as a Reporter: All reports of Compliance issues will be handled in strict confidence to the extent possible or permitted by law. Your inquiry can be made without fear of retribution. University policy prohibits any retaliation against individuals who report compliance issues in good faith.

How to Use:  Compliance Concepts anonymous reporting line is available seven days a week, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

    • Call toll-free 888-416-1308
    • You are greeted by a trained interviewer who documents your concerns. You don’t have to give your name, and the call or transaction is not recorded. A report number will be assigned, which you will need when you check back. Then the information will be relayed to the appropriate University office to investigate your concern. Using the report number, you may call or e-mail to follow up or add more information and remain anonymous.

6. Government Agency

If you follow the 5 steps above and still feel that your concerns are not being addressed you do have the right to contact a government agency.  These could include the Department of Justice, Office of Inspector General, or Ohio Department of Health. 

For any concerns involving patients and quality of care the Joint Commission can be reached at 1-800-994-6610 or

Last Updated: 2/5/16