Risk Management and Workers' Compensation

Event Liability Insurance for Outside Organizations

Tenant User Liability Insurance Policy (TULIP)

Non-university organizations wanting to use The University of Toledo (“UT”) facilities are required to show proof of comprehensive general liability insurance coverage.  The required limit of insurance is a minimum of $1,000,000 per occurrence. 

 This web page helps provide an understanding for the need of liability insurance related to the use of UT facilities and will assist outside organizations in obtaining that insurance coverage.    

Does UT Liability Insurance Cover Outside Organizations?    No.  UT liability insurance policies do not cover non-university organizations nor their leaders or members.

Can Organizations And Leaders Be Sued While Using UT Facilities? Yes.  Since non-university organizations are not covered by UT liability insurance policies, the organization and their officers and members may be exposed to personal liability and suit by participants of their activity.  

What Does Event Insurance Do?  Event liability insurance provides protection if the non-university organization and its officers or members are sued as the result of an injury or other loss at the event.  Event liability insurance, however, does not provide accident health coverage to the injured party of an event incident where they need medical attention.  That is a separate type of insurance that may be required for sport events.  See the accident health coverage question below.

What Is A Certificate of Insurance?   When insurance is purchased, a Certificate of Insurance is provided by the insurance company.   It provides evidence that the insurance coverage has been purchased and will be in effect on the date of the event.  It will also show the amount of coverage provided and any entity that is listed as an additional insured on the insurance. 

What Is Required In Order For An Event Insurance Policy To Be Acceptable?  When event insurance is required or desired, a Certificate of Insurance must be provided and show the following:

       (a)  Coverage amount of at least $1,000,000 per occurrence;

      (b)  Date of coverage needs to indicate the date of the event being insured; and

      (c)  “The State of Ohio, UT and its officers and employees” must be listed as additional insured on the policy and on the Certificate of Insurance.

      (d)  The Certificate Holder will be The University of Toledo, Attn: [name of contracting UT department], 2801 W. Bancroft St., Toledo, OH 43606.

What Is Required In Order For An Event Insurance Policy To Be Acceptable?  The following sources are available for obtaining event liability insurance:

       (a)  An organization that is affiliated with a national organization should check whether their national organization’s insurance policy can be extended for their organization event.  If so, their coverage must meet all insurance requirements stated above and a Certificate of Insurance must be provided.

       (b)  An organization may obtain the coverage from an insurance agency of their choice.   Agents used for purchasing personal insurance coverage, such as auto insurance, renters insurance, etc., can be asked if they can provide event insurance coverage as well.  The agency can then obtain a quote and provide the required coverage and Certificate of Insurance.

      (c)  If the above sources cannot provide insurance coverage, a one-time, on-line insurance quote can be obtained by going to the following link:  http://www.campusconnexions.com/    This website provides access to several types of insurance products, one of them being Tenant User Liability Insurance Policy, which will provide the required insurance policy.

In the Campus Connexions – Home box, click on the drop down arrow and select “University of Toledo” and click “Go”.  This takes you to the UT CampusConnexions website.  Hover over the “Products” tool bar and a drop down of several types of insurance products appears, one of them being “Tenant User Liability Insurance Policy”.  Click on “Tenant User Liability Insurance Policy” and then click on the “Apply Now” to get a quote.  If the quote is acceptable, payment is made by credit card.     A Certificate of Insurance is provided upon payment. 

 Note: UT has access to CampusConnexions through its membership in Inter-University Council – Insurance Consortium.  CampusConnexion is a collaborative effort between Marsh, USA (the insurance broker for the Consortium) and Mercer (the insurance company providing the various insurance products).

What Is Accident Medical Coverage?  While event liability insurance covers the organization and its leaders in the event of a lawsuit, an additional accident medical insurance policy provides for medical coverage should a participant be injured when the non-university organization is liable to the injured party and requires medical care.      

If event liability insurance is being sought for sporting events, the CampusConnexions website will require that accident medical coverage also be obtained or a $25,000 deductible on the event liability insurance will be applied.  When obtaining a quote for event liability insurance for sporting events, a quote on accident medical coverage will also be provided.  Event liability insurance coverage from other sources may not require accident medical coverage.




Last Updated: 6/27/22