Early Childhood Education - Grades Pre-K-5 Bachelor's Degree Overview
The University of Toledo has a proven track record of preparing teachers in early childhood education. Our students have outstanding pass rates on licensure exams and are successful at finding jobs in the field.
Early childhood majors at The University of Toledo earn the standard pre-K - grade 3 Ohio teaching license, along with grade 4 and 5 endorsements. Our graduates are in high demand. The flexibility to teach multiple grades makes them highly competitive in the job market.
Early Childhood Education - Grades Pre-K-5 Bachelor's Degree Highlights
- Hands-on experience in local classrooms. Learn in one of more than 150 Toledo-area schools as early as the first semester. Receive feedback and guidance from top-quality teachers and administrators. UT students train in local classrooms a minimum of five semesters.
- Forward-thinking, inclusive teaching model. Our graduates are equipped to handle the needs of a modern student. We teach the Whole Child Approach to education – developing the skills necessary to tend to students’ emotional, psychological and physical concerns.
- Learn by doing. UToledo early education majors volunteer at an area homeless shelter, help faculty with research and work with children of military families on bases around the world through Camp Adventure.
- Education scholarships. UToledo awards more than 60 endowed scholarships annually to education majors.
- The Carver Center is an invaluable resource for education majors. Students can learn the latest education technology and check out laptops, cameras and other materials as well as equipment they need for their field experiences.
- 2+2 completion program. Daycare employees with associate's degrees in early childhood education or child development can earn their bachelor's degrees in education (non-license) from UToledo within two years, completely online.
- Extend your degree.
- Complete the coursework for the preschool special needs endorsement or the reading endorsement after graduating with your bachelor’s degree.
- Earn a master’s degree in special education or counseling.
- Accreditation. The Judith Herb College of Education is accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation.
Almost all of UToledo’s early childhood graduates earn licenses and find teaching positions in Ohio or around the country. (Ohio has licensure reciprocity agreements with 46 states.)
UT hosts the UTeach Job Fair every year. It brings dozens of employers to campus.
Employers love that our students are well prepared and passionate about teaching.
Principals who have hired UToledo graduates say our alumni:
- Understand student learning and development, and respect the diversity of the students they teach
- Plan and deliver effective instruction
- Assume responsibility for professional growth, performance and involvement as an individual and as a member of a learning community
"The University of Toledo early childhood education department prepared me with all of the essential skills necessary to become the teacher I am today. During my time as an undergraduate and graduate student, the course work was innovative and practical. This allowed me to be competitive when finding a job."
"As an undergraduate student in the Judith Herb College of Education, you are supported, encouraged and respected, allowing you to develop to your true potential. Your college experience is what you make it. I found myself involved with EAPi, Kappa Kappa Psi and Camp Adventure. These experiences led me to be confident to seek career opportunities in education. I’ll never forget getting the email confirming my teaching position. I felt so proud and accomplished. I was officially a licensed teacher with a budding career! Throughout my professional career, I’ve now mentored more than 10 methods students and hosted two student teachers. I’d highly recommend the JHCOE to any future teacher. The college is true to its vision, shaping the future of education for an ever-changing world."
"The Judith Herb College of Education has granted me opportunities that I never thought possible. With my background, little is promised and even less is realized. That is why I appreciate the resources and support that were bestowed upon me during my time at The University of Toledo."
Early Childhood Education - Grades Pre-K-5 Bachelor's Degree Plan of Study
Early Childhood Education Bachelor’s Degree Sample Courses
- Effective Teaching Practices
- Curriculum Adaptations and Strategies
- Education of Talented and Gifted Children
- Literacy Assessment and Remediation for Early Childhood
View Plan of Study
Internship Opportunities for Early Childhood Education - Grades Pre-K-5 Bachelor's Degree
The Judith Herb College of Education partners with more than 150 Toledo-area schools in a variety of settings. Education majors spend at least five semesters in the field. This is almost twice as much time as students from other universities. These in-depth experiences give our graduates an edge in the job market.
Early Childhood Education - Grades Pre-K-5 Bachelor's Degree4-year program
Program Quick LinksView Admission Requirements
Department of Early Childhood Education, Higher Education and Special Education! Programs
College of Education